trim down n up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trim down n up

I recently boat a Carolina skiff with a 2004 60 hp Yamaha outboard. The boat has been siting for about a year n a half. I try to trim the motor down but it would go down. The relay switch is click but it still won't go down. I try the button at the motor but nothing happen. I bleed the hydralic cylinder to let it go down n it did. Then i try to trim it back up but nothing happen. What do u think is wrong with it?

Your problem could be, either mechanical (hydraulic) or electrical. As the relay is clicking when you use the tilt/trim switch; you may find the problem in either the wiring to the tilt trim pump or the tilt trim electrical pump itself. There are two wires coming out of the tilt trim motor. Disconnect these two wires by unplugging them. Now take a good 12volt battery and run a wire from the + terminal and another wire from the - terminal to the two wires you disconnected at the tilt trim motor. Plug either one of the wires from the battery into either one of the two wires coming out of the tilt/trim motor. It doesn't matter which one. Now plug the other wire from the battery into the other connector coming out of the tilt/trim motor. One of four things will now happen. 1) A big spark and the wires you are holding get very hot--- disconnect immediately! This indicates that you have a short to ground within the tilt/trim motor-- you will need a new motor. 2) you get a small spark but the wires still get very hot-- disconnect. This indicates that either the tilt trim motor is seized or the hydraulics have a problem. You will need to remove the trim motor and run this same test, if the motor then works, your problem is in the hydraulics. 3) Nothing happens, no spark at all-- disconnect. This indicates an open circuit and no power is getting to the motor brushes. you need a new motor. 4)You get a small spark and the tilt/trim motor starts to work and your tilt/trim motor either moves the cylinder or pumps but nothing moves-- disconnect. If #4 happens and nothing moves, reverse the wiring connections you made at the tilt/trim motor; the cylinder should now move. This result indicates that the wiring from the relay to the trim/tilt motor has an open, either at a connection or in the wires themselves. Hopefully this will help you.

Comment

Just to add a little.
      the relay could be clicking but not making electrical connection internally to send power to the motor.
      It has to make connection for the + and - , so check both,
      It would be best to use a voltmeter to check and see where you are getting power to and where you are not.

Comment

looking for some help, think I need a new motor but hoping for some other opinions.

Trim up and down starting to act up. Started by going very slow and sounding as the motor is struggling. Then either it will seem to "break free" and move up and down easily or stop all together to the point where I only hear the relay clicking.

Checked battery to be ok. I have checked with meter that I get +12V and -12V on the relays outputs when pushing trim up and down. Inspected the wires going to motor, they are ok. powered motor directly off battery and get similar issue in that it is slow. Checked battery is good.

Removed TNT assembly and then the motor. hooked motor only to battery and it sounds great, no problems with no load. drained and refilled oil and bleed the system. Reassembled motor and powered with battery. Sounded great.

Put TNT assembly back on F115 and same problems exist.

Wonder if the motor is bad and not working well under load.

Also wonder if I filled the fluid properly. Used DexronII filled pump area before putting motor on and then filled at cap up to brim with cylinders all the way up. Tilted down and up rechecked, filled again to the brim. Then when tilted down and up again cracked the cap and oil was under some pressure coming out. Let set for several minutes and cracked cap again and oil was coming out slowly. Put cap on. Question... is it overfilled?

Comment

after becoming more confident it was the motor I disassembled it. there was water in it! looks like a new motor will do the trick!

Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X