oil filters clogging w/cotton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil filters clogging w/cotton

I run a 150hp 2002 YAMA 4-5 days a week from May to Oct. It was 1st week in Aug I was running and the oil alarm sounded. Low oil turned out to be a clogged filter on the external oil reserve tank. Had it cleaned and 1 week later it happened again. I refill the gallon oil containers and others who have done the same donot have this problem. The tech who cleaned the system the first time,came bach to do it 2nd time and says he has never seen this before. It looked like fibers of cotton in the filter. Have talked to a livery boat operator who uses Evinrudes with premix and says he has been noticing the same problem in all his engines, filters clogged with cotton like fibers. He does not use the same oil source. Has anyone had similar problem? Does YAMAHA know of any problems with their YAMALUBE with M-2?? Is this something in the additives they put on the oil?? I am now straining all oil I put in the reserve tank.
    Thank you for all replys,

Hey Seahunter49,

Just curious, since you started straining the oil, have you found the "fibers" in the strainer?

Comment

Have not found any fibers after 2 gals. I will keep looking and when I refill my gallon containers I will keep checking.
      Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Working...
      X