Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha T9.9 Outboard 1992 No Spark

All,
    I'm new here, and would appreciate some help on getting a Yamaha T9.9 to start. It is a EXHQ and the starter runs great and it turns over- compression is 175 and 160 and it gets fuel- pump squirting, but no spark to the plugs. The guy I bought it from said it runs and I do (want to) believe him, but no luck just yet- maybe a loose wire? I got a SELOC Manual- but lots in there to consider. I also read a thread online it may be a loose ground, but the SELOC didn't mention that. I have a OHM meter to test, but I'm sort of lost looking at this manual. Any help or wisdom would be appreciated as to where to begin.
    Last edited by WaterFlyer; 12-13-2011, 11:43 PM.

Eliminate the stop switch, disconnect white wire at stop switch and recheck for spark, if still no spark then will need to get a peak reading voltmeter or a DVA adapter to check output voltage of charge coil, pulsor coils and CDI output as per service manual.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I'll give it a try- thx

Comment

Tried the White Wire

OK, I disconnected the white wire and still no spark. I saw online on "You tube" a stator test and tried it. What I did was test the wires that connect to the coil wires after disconnecting the coil first- (they are black and orange) for volts with the engine turning. The wiring diagram in the manual says these are coming out of the CDI, and the manual calls for (CDI) 195 v at 1500 rpm and the multimeter was showing 198 volts. Does this mean everything is good all the way up to the coil? I tried a resistance test on the ignition coil. I tested the orange and black wires coming out of the coil and looked for the resistance figure. The multimeter said .2 (Spec is .08 to .11), so not sure what that means. I also did a continuity check from one spark plug boot to the next and per the wiring diagaram those two should be connected together with a winding inside the coil- there was no connectivity between the two.
        My thoughts are to get a new coil. Any other thoughts?
        Last edited by WaterFlyer; 12-16-2011, 02:12 AM.

Comment

Did you use a peak voltage reading meter like the manual says or even a DVA adapter with a regular volt meter while taking the voltage readings?

If you are getting that much voltage into the coil and not getting spark out, then I would be looking for a coil

Comment

CDI Test

No, I only used the multimeter since I didn't have a DVA adapter. If I measured with that do you think it would change the readings?

Any other thoughts on the coil? Did I do the continuity check correctly on the spark plug side of the coil? Should there be continuity between the two spark plug wires?
            Thx

Comment

Not really, just will read low with a regular meter from what I understand.

You will have to touch your 2 meter leads together to measure the lead resistance and then subtract that from your ohms reading on the primary of coil.
              From what you said it sounds like the correct way to check the secondary of coils. I know some of these things do not just run to ground.
              What does you manual say for testing secondary of coils?

Comment

You should get 3.28-4.92 k ohms between two spark plug wire with spark plug caps removed from plug wires.
                Regards
                Boats.net
                Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Ordered a Coil

Thanks guys. I ordered a replacement coil. When it arrives I will hook it up and see if that cures the ill. I appreciate the help so far. I'll let you know what happens.

Comment

Working...
                  X