2006 2-stroke 90hp e-10 opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 2-stroke 90hp e-10 opinions

I just purchased a 2006 Lake and Bay 17.5 Predator flats boat with a 90 Yam 2-stroke.. very sweet package!....122 tatal hours.. The previous owner said that the engine has always performed well using e-10, and marine Stabil additive... my question is, should I continue with the e-10, or try to make the switch to non-eth? I hate to fix something if it isn't broke, yet! I have changed the water seperator... any advice on this motor would be greatly appreciated... I live in s.w. Florida, and the boat does sit for a couple of months once in a while.. should I fill the tank, or try to run it down before I lay it up? also, is it better to leave the motor tilted up, or all the way down, when not in use??

thanks, jim

Best to use non ethanol gas treated with fuel stabilizer. Keep gas tank full when storing and trim engine down if possible.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I've run the same motor since purchased new in 1999, never had any problems at all with the ethanol fuel, add Stabil(less during normal operation, more for lay-ups), Ringfree, fuel/water seperator type filter, drain each carb a few times a year(especially at lay-ups), change water pump every 2 or 3 years, change lower unit oil every year, remove,inspect, clean, grease all electrical connections. Keep fuel tanks full. Sweet runnin' motors! Good Luck!

Comment

If you are laving it on dry land when stored for a few months then down would be a good idea, but if on the water I am not so sure I would like the lower unit sitting in the water that long

Comment

As noted above, drain the carbs, if a built in tank, top it off with stabilizer(I prefer Seafoam or Chevron Tectron. If NOT IN THE WATER, I'd leave the engine down.

If the tank is indeed built in, I'd use NON-ethonol as the ethonol will collect moisture alot faster. Its worth the extra money rather than trying to get rid of water out of your tank and eventually the engine...

BTW, Ethonol will sometimes make certain parts fail. My 06 F150 had the see thru fuel filter cup (just inside the cowl) expand just slightly and not seat fully causing an air leak/stall. It was replaced under warranty and I was told by the service manager its a common problem with the ethonol. It will also eat up older fuel lines. I had the line from the transom filter to the engine fuel filter disintegrate internally after having the boat re-powered in 2007..
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
          X