Adding electric start to a 25hp 2-stroke outboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding electric start to a 25hp 2-stroke outboard

This is almost a double post as I have already posted a question about a rectifier, but I feel that the pull start to eleectric start is really a seperate question. So here goes...

I am considering purchasing a 1994 Yamaha 25hp pull start 2-stroke outboard. What parts would I need to convert it to electric start? How much weight would that add? Would I get a battery charger too as part of the electric start system?

Thanks,
    Chris

Chris,
    Model number?
    Ken K

Comment

Model number: 25MSHB VIN # 6L2KS-1000118

Comment

Chris,
        25MSHB is a 2003 model - a 1994 model would be a 25MSHS - which is it ?
        Ken K

Comment

OK I'm looking at another 25hp:

25MSHB
          6L2K S 1000753

What parts would I need to convert it to electric start? How much weight would that add? Would I get a battery charger too as part of the electric start system?

Thanks,
          Chris

Comment

Chris,
            Looking at the diagram of your motor in the online catalogue (above), I'm having a hard time determining if you could add a starter.
            Assuming all the mounting holes are in the block, you would need a starter, starter relay, a flywheel, a starter switch, and associated wiring. It would be a pretty expensive project.
            Try posting your question again as a new post - late at nite, so that boats.net mechanic can answer you the next morning - he seems to answer most often those posts that don't have any responses yet.
            Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
            Ken K

Comment

Ken is right, very expensive. Yamaha doesn't make an elect. start kit so you would have to buy all the parts separetly. If you price the parts Ken listed you will see it is expensive.The last 25 elect start was in 1998(25ESHW) and I'm not sure if all the mounting holes are still casted into block, I think they are, but if you get serious about it I will check into it.
              Regards
              Boats.net
              Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

At this point I am just kicking it around as an idea, don't go to too much trouble.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                X