Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a Starter motor to 40HP Yamaha

Hello from australia,

I have a 2004 Model 40HP Yamaha 2 stroke, model 40VMHD identical in spec etc to your 40TLRS.

My model is the basic pull start version but has the facility to screw in a starter motor.

My question is, and i appologies for my ignorance.
    If i fit the appropriate starter motor, is it just a matter of wiring up the starter to the battery with a Push start or key start inbetween?

Or does it need to be installed professionally with relays etc etc.

Any information would be very helpful

Regards
    Steve

Steve,
    You definitely want to let a starter relay deliver the cranking current to the starter, could be as much as 60 amps (I'm guessing). Your start switch will just deliver the signal current to the coil of the relay (around 5 amp - I'm guessing).
    You could do the switching directly with a heavy enough switch, like a battery switch, if you had to - but that would not make for a very neat installation, and you would be switching high current, which would give you some arcing and sparks - something you don't want near any gas fumes. The starter relay is enclosed, and you don't have to worry about any switching arcs/sparks.
    Also, you need to fuse the power to the start switch.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Thanks Ken,

When you say Starter relay, do you mean solenoid?

Ive been reading up on the net in reguards to starters and all of them have a solenoid connected through a ignition switch.

So ami guessing the starter relay is a solenoid that you are talking about?

Regards
      Steve

Comment

Steve,
        Yes, starter solenoid and relay are the same.
        On most outboard motors that I have seen, the starter and it's solenoid are physically separate, connected by a foot or so of wiring.
        On autos, the solenoid is usually "piggy-backed" right onto the starter motor housing.
        I looked up a 2004 40TLRC (did not see 40TLRS) in the online catalog (above - boats.net) and it shows a starter and starter relay separate.
        Be sure and use heavy cable from the battery to the starter relay, and from the starter relay to the starter. Check the amp rating on the starter - probably #6 awg should do the job.
        Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
        Ken K

Comment

Working...
        X