300 hpdi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 300 hpdi

I'm looking at a used 2003 motor. The price is right and supposedly low hours and good compression. The seller says the starter spins but the Bendix doesn't engage. Is the anything in the wiring of an HPDI that would prevent the Bendix from engaging. As far as I know they're centrifugal drives.

Anything else I should look for?

Thanks in advance.

The Bendix is just a gear mounted on a helix that allows it to spin upwards to engage the flywheel for starting. Are you sure the Bendix is lubricated and operating freely...easy enough to check, clean, lube with maybe a drop of oil. They tend to get dry, dirty, sticky sometimes. Good Luck!

Comment

Have a good look at the teeth on the drive and the flywheel, starter may have been engaged with engine running --- chewed up teeth.

Comment

Thaks guys, I knew that. Had a problem with my 175, fixed it several years ago.

I guess my real question is should I buy it without hearing it run or read the info on the electronics module (forget the tech term). Seller claims it has good compression. Well aware of the fuel pump issues too but at $2K is it worth the risk.

Don't really need it but.....

Thanks

Comment

If you have access to a compressor you could do a leak down test of each cylinder.

Comment

do your research for internal corrosion

Comment

The 300's had real issues. Lots of stuff here and THT. Believe the Rodbolt said they were worth their weight in scrap. Would never buy it without it running and having a tech download any info from the computer. You may have to put at least $2K into it to get it running.
              1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
              1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

Thanks guys, I think I'll pass unless he can get it running and I can do a compression test.

UPDATE. Just looked at the add again, it's a 250 NOT a 300.

Anything else.
                Last edited by Walt_S; 12-02-2011, 12:38 PM. Reason: Correct HP rating

Comment

If it doesn't have an hour meter, they all have low hours.

We bought a '04 90 TLR in '10 that looked near new without running it. Skeg still had all the paint. Unfortunately, it sat so long that ethanol ate the upstream fuel hoses and completely clogged the carburetors. We got lucky, cleaned all and simply replaced gaskets. In the process, I became thankful it wasn't fuel injected.

After that experience, I'll never buy unless I hear and see it run. Good deal or not, you'll be more prepared for what you're getting into.

Comment

Working...
                  X