• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another 90hp problem...

Hopefully this will be the last, for a while
    at least! I now have a problem with my trim and
    tilt. It will only tilt "down" and not up. Any
    suggestions as to what might be my problem? it would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Ikaika

Hey, Ikaika, how's the tuna fishing coming along out there?
    I need to know how many t/t switches you have - just one on the remote control, or is there another on the motor? Neither one will trim up?
    Ken K [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey Ken,

Fishing has been slow lately, I'll be going to Kona in about 2 weeks to pick up a new "Force 30"
      for a friend of mine, and we're gonna fish the waters there on the way home. Hopefully the fishing improves. How's the fishing in Texas?

Anyways, I have 2 switches, 1 on the engine and the other on the remote and both won't work.

Ikaika

Comment

Ikaika,
        The fishing has been slow, but is about to start picking up as we head into fall. With cooling water temp, the white shrimp will make their annual fall migration from the marsh to the deep water of the Gulf of Mexico - the fish go on a feeding frenzy during the shrimp migration to fatten up for the winter - great fishing for about two months .
        Ok, on your t/t problem. Since neither switch will make the motor trim up, then it is probably gonna be a bad "up" relay.
        You can test the t/t relays using a digital (or analog) voltmeter. Put your voltmeter on DC volts - 20 volt range. Ground lead on any ground contact on relay assy (black wires). Red lead of voltmeter to up relay coil contact. Move cowling mounted trim switch to up position - should read 12 volts on meter - if not, then wiring to coil is bad (or switch is bad - try other switch). If you read 12 volts on coil, then move red lead of voltmeter to wiper contact of up relay - this contact will have wire that leads back to the t/t motor. Should read 12 volts here with either switch engaged - if not, then bad up relay. If you do read 12 volts, then you have a bad "down" relay (yes, it should provide ground path for motor when "up" trim is energized), or the wiring to trim motor is bad, or motor is bad (not likely).
        I know this sounds confusing - I will send you a rough wiring diagram of the t/t relays and motor by email if you like - PM me your address.
        Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
        Ken K

Comment

Ken,

I got it fixed! Thank you for all your help, especially the drawing. I changed out the "up"
          relay and that did it. Now I'm ready to go fishing.
          Just gotta wait for hurricane Jova to pass us by and the weather to clear up.

Thanx again
          Ikaika

Comment

Ikaika,
            Glad you got the t/t fixed - thanks for the feedback. Where do you get your parts in Hawaii?
            Boats.net, sponsor of this forum, is a good source.
            Hope "Jova" brings you nothing but BIG, FAT, HUNGRY YELLOWFIN TUNA !
            Good luck,
            Ken K

Comment

Ken

I do get all of my parts from boats.net and I do have a third 90hp that I bought (used) for parts. If it's not on the used motor then I order it from boats.net. So far that used motor has saved me at least a $1K.

Thanks
              Ikaika

Comment

Working...
              X