Tool Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool Kit

starting to think about Spring and what sort of basic tools i should keep in the boat that would allow me to do minor repairs out on the water. I'm running a 94 - 70 TLRS any suggestions would be great.

thanks

Screwdrivers, pliers, side wire cutters, metric wrenches and socket set.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Folding lockknife with a serrated blade to cut any rope etc. caught around prop.

Comment

Spare plugs and plug wrench
        Spare fuel pump and a few tools to R&R
        Spare prop and tools to R&R
        Tools to disconnect battery maybe

I do not think you would try to do much more than that on the water, but It Depends on what you plan on trying to do or what you are capable of while on the water.
        Should keep up with Preventative maintenance while on land and not have to do much on water.
        Prop is the only thing that may get damaged and need replacing while out on the water

Comment

Long nose pliers and a piece of string. Can you guess why the string?

Comment

All the above -- and a cell phone with a charged battery!!

Comment

Spare fuel filters.
              1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
              1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

I used to keep a spare fan belt in the trunk of my first car. Then I wised up and realized if I put the new fan belt on the car, I wouldn't find myself stuck with a broken one. Instead of planning to work on your boat, I suggest preparing to enjoy it as follows.

I suggest spending quality time with an owner's manual, pencil, paper and a few brews. Make a list of every service and maintenance item that wasn't recently performed and make plans for them before you get on the water.

Also inspect the fuel supply from pickup to outboard. If they look suspect or are more than four years old, replace with materials listed for low permeability and install a 10 micron water separating filter conveniently close to the outboard if you don't have one. My guests enjoyed a couple hours of drifting in Pamlico Sound while I jury rigged a pick-up tube.

Also go through all electric connections and fuses especially any inline ones at the battery and pack them with dielectric grease or petroleum jelly. A corroded but not blown fuse tarnished one of my trips.

Get a grease gun with marine grade grease and hit every nipple. Clean an lubricate the steering cable.

This is also a good time to replace the water pump impeller if older than three years, replace spark plugs since their cheap and checking takes the same time and change the gear oil in the lower end.

Look up the Coast Guard safety list for your size of boat, get what you don't have and inspect what you do.

If you don't have a GPS, spend some time online for what's available at what you're willing to pay. Lots of stuff available and knowing where you are takes away stress for all aboard. I spent more than my wife thought I should on a combo unit and we're all happy I did.

Happy boating.

Comment

Tool kit

Besides the above mentioned items, fuses (more so for accessories) and battery jumper cables.

I also keep a spare (Sierra) fuel filter (steel only) and an 3/8" hose connector (hose to hose) should the plastic Sierra water separator on the bottom of the transom fuel filter break/fail. (My neighbors O-ring failed and leaked causing me to constantly prime the bulb to get home) I carry the connector should the mount for the fuel filter fail I can by-pass it altogether.

I'm able to get all my tools (short of jumper cables, fuel filter) in a spare fishing tackle box which I keep under the center console.

The jumper cables fit in nicely (in a sealed bag-sprayed with WD40) next to the battery in the battery compartment.
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                    Besides the above mentioned items, fuses (more so for accessories) and battery jumper cables.

I also keep a spare (Sierra) fuel filter (steel only) and an 3/8" hose connector (hose to hose) should the plastic Sierra water separator on the bottom of the transom fuel filter break/fail. (My neighbors O-ring failed and leaked causing me to constantly prime the bulb to get home) I carry the connector should the mount for the fuel filter fail I can by-pass it altogether.

I'm able to get all my tools (short of jumper cables, fuel filter) in a spare fishing tackle box which I keep under the center console.

The jumper cables fit in nicely (in a sealed bag-sprayed with WD40) next to the battery in the battery compartment.
                    Great idea! I would add a length of 3/8" hose and several hose-hose connectors. Never can tell how much jury-rigging it will take to get home. Also like the idea of filling bilge fuse holders with grease.

Comment

thanks to everyone for the great info...i'm a strong believer in P/M and have done alot of the suggestions listed. will start putting together a kit with the mentioned tools and spare parts,just in case something does go wrong. If i don't know what to do i'm hoping that whoever i flag down has the basic tools and knowledge to help. Again thanks

Comment

Don't forget the piece of string

Comment

Ok I'm missing the string thing. I keep a tool box and and a 12" X 12" lure organizer with fuses, fasteners, etc very handy. I keep filters, impellers, hose, etc stowed way out of the way. Over the years never needed anything but have bailed out a few people.

Comment

ahhh the string...would it be for emerg pull start

Comment

Well I got a pull rope guess he could mean string for that. Believe if you're FI you can't manual start. Need juice to the HP pump.

Comment

Working...
                              X