Gas Filter Cup on an F250 Yamaha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Filter Cup on an F250 Yamaha

Has anyone experienced the problem with removing and reinstalling the gas filter cup on a Yamaha F250. The past several seasons the service tech had to replace the cup when reinstalling it. He said that the ethanol was causing the cups to expand make re-installation virtually impossible. This season I experienced the same problem and had to replace it once again. Fortunately, the engine is still under warranty and I got the cup for free. I noticed that the new cup has been redesigned and I was wondering if the material that it is made from was also updated. The cup list for about $130 which I find totally insane and I am not looking forward to paying that every season when I replace the fuel filter.

Next time the fuel cup is too tight to remove, take off the filter assembly, drain it well and put it in a zip-lock bag and into the freezer for a few hours. It will then come apart easily for you.

Comment

I was told that by the parts guy where I purchased my boat. But don't you think Yamaha should provide parts that withstand external elements.

Comment

Yamaha has changed the material of filter cups to correct that problem, the new cup your dealer installed should not swell like old ones did.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Seal

My F150 did the exact same thing, swelled up badly, discolored (yellowed) as well. It would not go back in the upper mount.

It was replaced under warranty.. The service manager said it was a common problem and that the ethonol was causing the problem..... The new one dropped right in..

I stopped using ethonol fuel and am using non-ethonol fuel.
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

The fuel cup on my 90HP Yamaha used to get pretty darn tight, but I started putting some silicon grease on the threads and O-ring and it helps a lot! When you re-install the cup, no reason to over-tighten it, just enough to compress that O-ring for a good seal. Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
              The fuel cup on my 90HP Yamaha used to get pretty darn tight, but I started putting some silicon grease on the threads and O-ring and it helps a lot! When you re-install the cup, no reason to over-tighten it, just enough to compress that O-ring for a good seal. Good Luck!
              On at least the F150, that cup with the O-ring, has to slide into the top black mount first before you can tighten it down with "ring nut". Short of grinding down the outside of the cup just slightly (maybe .010") the cup WON'T go into the top mount, with or without the nut.... The new cup popped right in.

Had I not noticed just a very slight amount of fuel leakage (after an unexpected stall idleing out of a canal), I wouldn't have known there was a problem.. It had apparently been running that way for quite awhile...
              Scott

Comment

Sounds like yours is a bit more complex, maybe just a bad design. Some of the new motors have so many components and accessories jammed under their cowls, they have to be tough to work on. My motor is a 1999 2 stroke premix, more like working on an older 350 Chevy motor. Well, good luck with your fuel bowl!

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
                  Sounds like yours is a bit more complex, maybe just a bad design. Some of the new motors have so many components and accessories jammed under their cowls, they have to be tough to work on. My motor is a 1999 2 stroke premix, more like working on an older 350 Chevy motor. Well, good luck with your fuel bowl!
                  I'd prefer an old Chevy 350 anyday actually...

The filter assembly isn't badly designed, just the crappy plastic they use (used?). I'd file the outside edge down 010" before I dropped $130.00 on a piece of plastic...
                  Scott

Comment

I agree!, you could probably grind a few thousandths off that piece and make it work fine....I can do a lot of grinding for $130

Comment

Working...
                    X