1986 power tilt problem 115hp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 power tilt problem 115hp

Got a problem. Tried to take the tilt/trim unit off as I had no power to it. Disconnected most things including the body before realising it cant be taken off without the motor being removed. When we started to undo the body part on the port side all the oil came out. No problem with that, just trying to explain what we did. Put it all back together and refilled with oil. Power back probably because of all the movement freeing something up. However all it does is spin. Have tried bleeding it as per instructions in manual but no luck.
    I am now thinking that the boby part has not been put back correctly and that it is not meashing with what it is supposed to. Anyone got any ideas?
    Boat is moored and I dont have a trailer, only access to a slip at a friends place so I cant take it somewhere to get fixed, and besides the cost of labour even with a mobile mechanic would probably not be worth it considering the age of the motor and its value.
    Any help much appreciated. Thanks in advance

If you had the trim motor off may have lost the coupler that connects motor shaft to gear pump, it may still be in there just out of place.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Is there a diagram somewhere that may show me the coupler?

Comment

I think it is # 60 1986 115ETLJ Yamaha Outboard POWER TRIM & TILT COMPONENT PARTS Diagram and Parts

Comment

Thanks for that. Unfortunately the printout is not all that clear (for a novice). Does part 71 slot into part 61 when that is in the housing. It looks like it goes in from the side and is held there by parts 72 to 75. Is this right?
          Any help greatly appreciated
          Last edited by malken; 11-22-2011, 08:20 PM. Reason: explanation

Comment

The coupler just fits into socket in gear pump and then align trim motor shaft up with notch in coupler.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
            X