F25 multifunction Tachometer Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F25 multifunction Tachometer Wiring

I have a 2003 F25TLRB with electronic tilt and trim and remote. I purchased the prescribed multifunction gauge for this motor. 6YR-W0035-E1 for 2004 and older.

I have figured out the connection of the gauge cable to the remote, but have a problem with the Trim/oil cable to the engine.

The problem is my engine does not appear to have the mating connectors as illustrated in the installation instructions. The high level wiring diagram does not provide any clarification.

How to I locate the trim position sensor and oil temperature sensor wires to plug into the gauge? Do I need an adaptor? Is this something I should take to my Yamaha Dealer? They already told me they won't install the kit because I didn't buy it from them.

I checked several threads on the forum, but couldn't find one addressing exactly this issue.

Thanks

I might be mistaken but if you look at your motor just above the trim switch on the side of the motor you will see a connection there for the harness to the tach. Check it out.

Comment

According to manual the digital gauge kits will work on 2003 T25, F30-F225 four stroke models and 40hp and up 2 stroke models. It doesn't say it will connect to the F25 models.
      Regards
      Boats.net
      Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

To which manual do you refer? The Installation instructions, which were all I could find, say:

The Yamaha Multifunction tachometer works on 1994 and later 40-300hp and F25-F250 four stroke motors and
        will install in standard 3 3/8 diameter gauge hole in dash. The tachometer provides RPM reading, trim angle
        indicator, engine operating hours, overheat and oil warning indicators.

I bought the kit from you!

But you are the second person who has questioned whether this is correct or not. Something is not right.

Comment

Tuckerboy,

I checked out your suggestion. I found a blue three wire connector. I has one each sky blue, light green, and red wires. There are no pigtails available for plug in. According to the Yamaha color code, these are the Trim up and down and battery wires.

Looks like I might have been screwed by Yamaha.

Comment

That information was in the 2003 Rigging manual, The T25 is a four stroke model as well just a high thrust gearcase. If your engine is compatable it will have the two off white colored square connectors that matches the harness in gauge kit, one connector for trim sender(see if your motor has a trim sender) and the other goes into engine harness.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

boats.net,

My engine is an F25, so I guess the Installation instructions, which was the only thing I could find on the matter before I ordered the kit, was wrong. My engine does not have the connectors. Boo hoo. Do you think I could get my dealer to make a modification to add the connectors, since basically it is the same engine as the T25? I could just hook up the tachometer to the wires coming out of the 703 remote, but I sure would like to have the other functions.

Boats.net could be a little clearer as to the applicability of this instrument on its parts listing as well.

p.s. do you know where I can find the 2003 rigging manual?
              Last edited by riberajoe; 11-18-2011, 04:05 PM. Reason: add p.s.

Comment

It looks like you would have to change the engine wiring harness(use harness for T25TLRB) and install a trim sender.
                Regards
                Boats.net
                Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I'll go see my local Yamaha service shop and see if they would be willing to do that. I've gone this far, might as well go all the way.

Thanks for your advice.

Comment

I guess maybe I won't after all. $1200 to swap out the harnesses and install the trim sensor. I guess I will just try to sell the gauge on ebay.

Comment

I installed the multifunction tach on my new boat and really like the way it functions even without the trim indicator function. My F25 did not come with the trim tilt function so I could not hook up that harness in the regular sense. I have a suggestion that you call Yamaha tech support and run all of this by them. They were very helpful to me while I was rigging my F25. I hooked the tach up to the connections from the con*****er, works fine and I am happy with it. I am pretty sure that you can find the answer with a little more research. Good luck, great little motor, the F25. What boat do you have yours on?
                      tuckerboy

Comment

I run mine on a Crestliner Sportsman 14. It is a deep-V, aluminum, ass-heavy boat (the side console is aft of mid keel). It is outfitted and great for fishing. I use an aluminum 9 7/8 dia. x 12 pitch prop and can hit 25 mph with a full load of gas (12 gallons) three men and a dog. I cruise at about 22 mph, which is just a nudge below WOT. I use it mostly for *****ing and for that the F25 is great. I may still install the tach, but I'm disappointed not to have access to the other features. I did call Yamaha and am waiting for an answer. The dealers are only interested in selling me a new motor.

Comment

I would install the tach if for no other reason than to know if you are hitting the optimum rpm at wot. It should be right about 5700/5800 rpm. You might need to adjust your prop if you are not in that range. I have mine on a 21 foot boat that I built myself and I get21 mph at wot at 5700 rpm with the stock prop that came with the motor. Could not believe that I would get that kind of speed. Also like the fact that I am getting an hour meter just so I can keep up with maintainance on a regular basis.

Comment

Those are good points. Yamaha called me back and confirmed that there is no way to get all the functions on the F25 without replacing the wire harness ($500 part), but suggested that I consider having the dealer install a cam, trim sensor (off the T25TLRB) during the next maintenance service (probably next spring). That part, installed with a wire lead to the gauge should not exceed $150. Might be worth it to get a tilt indicator to go along with tach and engine hour meter. I still have an oil indicator light on the engine itself. I think that only kicks in for low pressure.

Comment

Best of luck, spring cant come too soon!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X