Batteries not charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batteries not charging

My 10/02 - F90TLRB had been sitting for a while and I ran the batteries down trying to get it started. I attached jumper cables to my truck and cranked the motor with the jumper cables attached and now it is not charging and I know it was charging the last time I had it out. I checked the two fuses, is there anything else to check or did I fry the Rectifier/Regulator?

Test battery, check battery cable connections are clean and tight, test regulator.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

If after cleaning up the connections, it still is not charging, I would suggest repalcing the fuses just on speculation, sometimes a visual inspection does not reveal a bad fuse.

Comment

I put in new batteries cleaned the connections ohm'ed the fuses. How do you check the regulator?

Comment

I don't have the same engine, but rectifiers on outboards work in the same way ( I think). Mine only has what is referred to as a lighting coil and has two green wires coming from it that plug into the rectifier. Disconnect the two wires where they plug into the two wires coming out of the rectifier. Check the resistance between the two green wires that go under the flywheel. For my engine 60hp, it is between 0.41 and 0.50 ohms. Yours should be similar. If that checks out ok, now check the rectifier. All the wires have to disconnected from the rectifier, with no battery voltage present. Check for continuity between: red + and all the others - should have continuity. green + #1 (your choice) continuity between it and black - only. green + #2 (the other green lead) continuity between it and black - only as well. black + will have continuity only with ground -. Your setup may be different, if so hopefully some one will put the correct specs up.

Comment

Working...
          X