Faulty Key-Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faulty Key-Switch

I have had my '08 F30ELHG 4-stroke since new, and it has always been dead reliable. The last time i tried to start, the motor would not turn-over, completely dead. I assumed my battery was flat but that wasn't it either. The mechanics at my local Yamaha dealer advised me that i needed a new key-switch. Seems very odd as, i've not started this motor more than a dozen times in the last 3 years. My question is, does the key-switch wear out this quickly and should i replace immediately or should i use the original until it finally dies?

richardlang54@gmail.com

Kind of sounds like it has died already it will not start the motor.
    They usually last a long time.
    maybe bad seal and corrosion set in to switch contacts, hard to say with the limited info

Comment

Thanks for your imput. I should have mentioned, when i took it into the local Yamaha dealer for yearend maintenance, they managed to start it by rattling the key, something i'd expect to do with a much older motor. I'm tempted to keep rattling the key when starting until it dies but am open to any suggestions.

Comment

Been using the same key switch for 13 years now and never a problem. If rattling does the trick you make try to disassemble the switch for check for an obvious loose or corroded connection. If none is found and or not easily fixed, I'd buy a new one. Hate getting stranded.

Comment

Hi I had a similar problem last month. Unfortunately i did not know that the problem was with the faulty key-switch until it was too late. The short in the key switch caused the starter motor to run continuously and burnt out the starter motor. I run a sport fishing company here in India and we do trips almost every other day so i was not surprised about the key switch failing. But a dozen times in three years is ..... I dont know.
          If it starts when you muck around with the key switch then the problem should be definitely within the molded part of the key switch.
          I suggest that you change the switch. Not worth taking the risk.

Comment

Working...
          X