Engine Oil drain plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Oil drain plug

Well, this is my first post. I am in a bit of a pickle. I had stripped the internal threads on my oil drain on my 2004 150hp 4 stroke. I brought my boat into the mechanic to fix for me, he said there is still some threads left in the upper portion, therefore the stock plug is not long enough to catch those threads. They had given me a new plug (longer than the stock plug), which is from a motorbike which fit perfectly except the head rusted completely. I am now on a search for a replacement (stainless steel), but have no idea where to find one of these and the mechanic told me that that I'll probably need to get one fabricated. Can someone out there please help me with this and let me know if you know of a company that has them....

I don't know of a plug that would work, may be able to install a heli-coil to repair threads but never tried it and sure if would be possible to install one.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for the reply. They didn't install a heli-coil because there were still lots of threads left and figured it was still useable with a different length plug.

Comment

Depends how handy you are try MSC or Grainger online catalogs they should have S/S bolt you can use than you can drill and epoxy in a magnet if you like. I believe the drain plug is a straight thread. Or a local machine shop can make you one.

Comment

This company sells quick drain plugs but also adaptors. Give them a holler and see if they can help.... They may have a longer bolt.

IMHO, I would put a longer one in permanently with a slightly smaller opening in it for a smaller plug. The wear and tear would be on that and NOT on the little bit of aluminum threads left in the block...

QuickOilDrainValve.com - the best way to change oil

This other site has magnetic specific drain plugs of different lenths:

http://www.magneticdrainplugs.com/mo...rain_plugs.htm
          Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 10-18-2011, 07:21 AM.
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I've heard Rodbolt and a few of the guys mention not using the drain plugs to change the oil due to the threads messing up. They recommend pumping the oil out of the dipstick hole, much easier and quicker without the thread problems. Maybe once you get your new stainless plug in there, consider the pump method? I don't know the size or length of your drain plug but Autozone and other parts stores carry a good selection of drain plugs of various diameters, some with magnets and some without. Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
            X