Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yamaha 50TLR w/ 703 Remote Controls won't start; Am I missing connections?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 50TLR w/ 703 Remote Controls won't start; Am I missing connections?

I just picked up a barely-used 2006 Yamaha 50TLR (2-stroke with power tilt/trim) and swapped out the 704 control it came with for a 703 control. The 10-pin harness plugged straight into the motor, and I thought that was it for necessary connections; however when I hooked up a battery and turned the key-- nothing happened (dead-man lanyard was on).

There are two bundles of leads coming out of the control box, but I thought they were for optional gauges. Are there other connections that are necessary to make the motor operate? The motor came with a Tachometer, which I believe is what one of the wire bundles is intended for--I haven't hooked it up yet (and wouldn't think it is necessary to complete the starting circuit!); what is the other bundle for? There are 6 wires paired into three connectors.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Check battery cable connection are correct, recheck the 10 pin main harness connection at engine to make sure aligned properly, check for blown fuses on engine and make sure shift lever is in neutral.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

got it, will do.

What is the other little bundle of 6 paired wires coming out of the control box?

Comment

The yellow, green, red and black wires are to connect gauge harness.
        The red, blue and green wire is for connection to a remote trim switch in boat.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Is there any diagram that show all the connections between the remote control and the tachometer and speedometer?

What do each of the wires do?
          I got the Cymer book, but that does not cover the tacometer and seedometer connections, as far as I can see.

Comment

The gauges connect to key switch green,yellow, black and red wire harness not to control box on a 704 controls. The trim and neutral saftety switch wires on 704 control box connects to 10 pin main harness.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
            X