Starting issues 130 2stroke 2002 low hours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting issues 130 2stroke 2002 low hours

After a period of damp wet weather I'm having problems starting. I have a spark, I'm choking it well, it turns over but just doesnt get going.
    To get it going I spray starter fluid on the carbs and then it fires up straight away.
    Any recommendations to do before I winterize to stop this happening next year.
    thanks for the help

Are you sure electric choke is closing choke plates in carbs completely, try using manual choke to see if starts ok.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

thanks

appreciate the reply - its a manual choke, the bulb type which I always squeeze until firm.

Comment

The bulb just primes carbs with gas, for choking, give it about 1/3 throttle, turn key, push in and hold key(should here clicking noise at engine) in while starting engine. The manual choke knob is on front of engine cowling next to where cables enter cowling and can pull out knob to manually choke.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thank you VERY much for the advice - I'll give it a try

Comment

nope, didnt work, still needed the shot of ethanol to get it going tonight. Its starnge because once it fires it runs great. Any other suggestions ?
            thank you

Comment

You did not answer the question on do the choke plates in carbs close completely

Comment

I'm not sure, how would I be able to check that

Comment

look at them while operating the choke

Comment

Working...
                  X