Caution - problem with oil level gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caution - problem with oil level gauge

I am posting this to prevent oil starvation that cost me a rebuilt powerhead. I have a 1994 200TXRS motor. A month ago I ran out of oil, no warning, no sensors went off. One piston was bad and since I had a lot of hours on the motor I had a complete rebuild done on my powerhead. After I got the powerhead back I looked for the cause of the problem. I had plenty of oil in the big reserve tank and the motor worked fine. I pulled the oil level sensor out of the motor oil tank and moved the position of the doughnut and everything seemed to work fine. Oil was pumping when it should and the buzzer sounded when I dropped the position of the doughnut?? So why the problem? I then pulled out the oil strainer that surrounds the sensor and IT WAS BENT! AND BENT QUITE A BIT. THE BENT STRAINER CAUSED THE DOUGHNUT TO STICK IN THE UP POSITION AND NOT TURN ON THE OIL PUMP OR THE WARNING SENSOR. Why it bent is kind of speculation. The guy who rebuilt my motor (Layton Marine - very good) told me I had a bad pop valve that would cause the motor to overheat. Could the overheated motor cause the oil in the tank to become hot and distort the plastic oil strainer? Who knows? Or did it just get old and distort? Don't know if this is a fluke or happens often? Hopefully this will save someone from an expensive rebuild.

Are you sure it was lack of oil that got the piston?

From what I have read lack of oil will get bearings first, not a piston/
    Lean fuel/air mix or over heat will get a piston before bearings
    Just something to think about.

I have heard of this strainer problem before, and it is a good idea to drain the tank to remove any trash/water and test the oil alarm/pump system from time to time just to make sure it functions properly

Comment

Yes, lack of oil trashed the piston and rings. The motor oil reservoir was completely empty. The oil strainer was bent, causing the sensor to stick in the up position.

Comment

Working...
      X