25HP won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25HP won't start

I just tried to get on the water with my 25HP 4-stroke yamaha. I couldn't get it to start. The battery was charging fine, and I know it was getting gas because it was flooded by the end. I must admit I recently changed the spark plugs and I'm afraid I didn't get them in correctly and that's why it won't start. I never had a problem until I tried to service it. Any ideas?

It sounds basic, but have you pushed the plug caps on properly?

Comment

i double checked them, but not sure. One thing was weird. THey didn't have the NTK spark plugs so I got Champions. The plugs I replaced had the caps off them - just the threads at the top, so I took the caps off thenew ones. Not sure if that had anything to do with it. I appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

Comment

I've got the same engine and the plug have bare threads on mine too. You need to check that you're getting a spark.Remove a plug but keep the H.T lead attached. get an assistant to hold the plug against the engine block (close to the plug socket is good)with insulated pliers whilst you turn the engine over momentarily. You should see the plug spark. Do it out of direct sunlight to make it easier and don't hold the starter key on for too long as the engine may fire up on just one cylinder.

Comment

Spark Plugs

Got it figured out. The Champion spark plugs the auto parts store sold me as equivalent are not equivalent. Wrong size. I got the right GSK size plugs and she starts right up.

Comment

Working...
          X