Problem with 701 Remote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with 701 Remote

I purchased this remote as I was told here that it would work with my 1987 15ELH. The shift works fine, but the throttle works backwards. Instead of pulling the throttle lever to open it, which the instructions say it's supposed to do, it pushes the throttle lever, which doesn't work since the throttle is already closed (and I'm assuming here that "pull" means to pull the throttle lever towards the front of the boat and "push" means push it towards the rear).

There is a section in the instructions which tell how to change the throttle control from a pull to open to a push to open type (with the purchase of a different part), but I don't get the connection since it seems to already be pushing instead of pulling. Can anyone help?

There are two different 701 controls,
    701-48101-51-00 Pull to open throttle
    701-48130-02-00 Push to open throttle
    Sounds like you need to exchange the box to the pull to open one.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

not sure if it will work but i have a used 703 control

Comment

Thanks. After further research, I found some instructions on the Internet on how to modify a 703 from Push to Pull. I was able to apply them to the 701 with no problem. It takes a little grinding, drilling and tapping, but it is very doable and works perfectly. BTW, there is a part you can buy to make the conversion, but it costs about $85 plus shipping; about half the cost of the control itself.

Comment

Working...
        X