Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 Amp fuse intermittently blows

Hi all,
    I have been on other forums but still no luck sorting this out. I have a 2001 Yammie fourstroke 115hp outboard. About 3 months ago I blew the 20 amp fuse under the engine cowling, took it to the marine mechanic and he said he detected a pinched wire coming from the rear of the compass which is connected to the ignition. So what was happening was when the fuse would blow all gauges on dash, trim tilt and ignition would not work until fuse replaced. After being at the mechanics all was well for about 5 outings then again last week it blew again. Replaced and blew another 3 fuses until I got it back onto the trailer. Any suggestions what could be causing this??? Thanking you in advance.

regards
    Brad

I would find out where the problem was last time and have a look at that spot again. Maybe a bad fix the first time

Comment

Have to check all wiring on engine and key switch, if you think it is at dash disconnect everything connected to key switch except engine to see if still blows fuses.
      Regards
      Boats.net
      Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys but this is an intermittent problem. Had it on the trailer with muffs last week and darned if I could get it to blow again. Had motor on in reverse, neutral and reverse, tilt up tilt down and turning from side to side, but still unable to blow fuse. Got me buggered.

regards
        Brad

Comment

Well guys, still have faith in the old yammie. Found what the problem was and it was not related directly to motor. After countless weeks decided to do the testing at night to see if I could spy a spark as I have been able to blow the fuse at will by just tugging on the wires that go along the gunnel and under dash. So what I did was replaced fuse, turned on ignition, climbed under the dash at night and started wriggling the wires. I was only there for a minute and bam saw spark/flash from under dash. Turned torch on and discovered that there was a sandwiched dash wire between sharp dash support and rigid steering cable. It was nearly worn all the way through. The funny part is that it wore just on the battery side of the independant fuse to the gauge. Thats why it was blowing 20 amp fuse in motor. Anyway fixed the insulation, placed rubber on all sharp edges under dash and gunnel and cannot get it to blow. Thank heavens its over. Been 6 painstaking weeks, not knowing whether motor/wiring problem.

regards
          Kirko

Comment

Working...
          X