2000 F-100 seized up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 F-100 seized up

Hey, I had this motor for 11 years. It was on a 22' sea runner hard top.
    Yeh it's small for the boat. But for my use I need low horsepower due to shallow water river I would be using it on, It was sluggish and had to prop it all the time to stay at at a decent running speed. I proper it for WOT of 5300, For it's life was hard because I ran it at about 80 % throttle all the time. It never used oil, changed it once a year, 5 month season here in Alaska , 30 to 65 f weather through the 5 months, Yeh cold. About 30 to 50 hours a year use, When it blew, I had a good load in the boat, 1 moose, 2 caribou, 3 grown up and 2 pre ****age girls, 60 gal of gas. 4800 rpm I was running, max with this load was 5100 with the pro I was using , Yeh it did seam to lug a bit. So I do know if you chose a small motor for your boat and it lugs, it will live a short life. I'm thinking since it's cold here most of the time , the oil don't quite get to the top of the main bearing and working it's but off enhanced a low hour death,
    A question here for you fellows that rebuilds
    What will it take to rebuild this motor? I will have to do it, remote village, what special tool will be needed?
    I'm buying a new motor , yammy 150 4 stroke, But i don't won't to waste a motor by chunking it in the ocean yet

Thanks. Tony

All depends on what happened to lock it up.
    bearings, crank, block, pistons,
    any of or all of these things could need replacing

Comment

Hey. I'm thinking it's the top crank bearing . That's yamahas weakest spot. Cold weather. Oil viscosity thick , and takes a little time to pump the oil to there , Over time , ( like 11 years ). And total hours around 600, seams like it should have lasted a lot more hours than that.

Comment

Maybe lower unit gearbox oil leaked out and caused gears to lock down. Drop lower unit and check it.... would be a lot easier and cheaper to repair or replace than the powerhead! With it being so cold up there would a lighter weight oil be recommended for the motor? Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Misskimo View Post
          Hey. I'm thinking it's the top crank bearing . That's yamahas weakest spot. Cold weather. Oil viscosity thick , and takes a little time to pump the oil to there , Over time , ( like 11 years ). And total hours around 600, seams like it should have lasted a lot more hours than that.
          Until you find out what damage you have you will not get a reliable answer

Comment

Thanks slot for the heads up on the lower end unit. I'm thinking it's in the motor because of the alarms. If lower unit seized, it would have just stalled,
            I will take the motor off in 2 weeks when I get home. I'm replacing it with a f 150.

Tony

Comment

Well, 11 years may be not all that bad, especially since you're running the motor hard and in less than ideal conditions. Hopefully the motor can be repaired. Maybe your new 150HP won't have to work so hard and you could explore the idea of some lighter weight oil for the very cold conditions? Good Luck to you!

Comment

Working...
              X