Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F225,Rusted Starter,Corroded/stuck throttle plate, piston issue, craked head or gaske

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F225,Rusted Starter,Corroded/stuck throttle plate, piston issue, craked head or gaske

Yamaha F225 (2006)
    I own a HydraSports boat with a Yamaha F225 that I bought new in 2008. Currently, the throttle plates are corroded, which I found out because the shift would not shift past around 1/3 to full. I also found out the engine was built in 2006. The boat would shake vehemently, and then stall. Upon taking it to the dealer, I was informed:
    *The throttle plates were stuck closed on one side
    *The number six piston had crud in it, from salt water (see pictures)
    *My plugs were black (I saw them!)
    *My intake valves were in need of being reseated
    *I failed the leak down test
    *Salt water got in there somehow, the head may be cracked
    My previous dealer did not catch/failed to do anything about the bulliten published by Yamaha which alerted shops about the faulty caulking/leak problem (boat is in salt water)
    My fly wheel is completely rusted
    My starter is corroded

Of note:
    Last year, I complained that the throttle was very hard to push, and at times very difficult to get back into neutral. The dealer did nothing.
    The boat was running rough last year. The previous dealer disassembled the engine, sent the fuel injectors out to be cleaned and charged me. When I put her back in the water, she still ran very rough; and would shake and stall. The dealer then replaced both VST filters. She ran fine after that, though I still thought the throttle was sticky at times. (Looking back I wonder if this was the start of my current problems…)
    Has anyone seen anything like this? Has Yamaha helped (I have an extended warranty). I already have $2200+ into engine repairs on a three year old motor.

Are you sure it is your engine.... is it possible that some caring soul has not swapped it............ as that sounds like that engine has had swimming lessons

Comment

By chance, is the Hydrasports a flats boat or a bay boat style?

There have been stories of water spray coming out of the livewells and/or baitwells while the boat is at speed and the spray hits the motor cover and the saltwater is sucked inside.

This condition also happens if there is a transducer or speed wheel mounted close to the motor and the spray from it gets on the motor and sucked in.

Yamaha a few years back published a bulletin or something in the tech update manual about saltwater spray hitting the motor and getting ingested.

Comment

being the boat owner you should have seen this long ago and addressed it before it got this bad. I believe there was something about sealing things up better and eliminating live wells/bait well or at least not running with it full
        Most owners will pull the cowling from time to time and inspect/clean things up and spray corrosion inhibitor on parts that need it

Comment

Follow up to post

Thanks (99YAM40) for the note. I am not a mechanic, and have routinely had an authorized dealer inspect the engine, which I pay for. I did bring to their attention that the fly wheen looked like there was rust developing last year...
          Last edited by HeadsOrTails; 09-25-2011, 09:55 AM. Reason: Added text

Comment

Mitch, thanks

Funny, several people have asked me this. I asked the new service shop to check the numbers. Thank you for the reply.

Comment

Seahorse5, thanks.

She is not a flats boat, but a HydraSports 2300WA.

Comment

have you found where the water ingress in coming in ?if that is the case .

i would be checking the engine numbers as you said that it was purchsed in 2008 but you have a 2006 donk .

Comment

how did you get on with this problem

yam 40

how is your post helpful it is obvious that the op has paid good money to have engine serviced .

Really guessing water is coming from a bait well is just not right there is more to this than that assumption.

Comment

mich

In my opinion all owners should open the motor cowling and check things between trips. Just like the vehicle you drive down the road - air pressure,tires, oil, and other fluids are part of something everyone should look at before you go on a trip, and on a boat you can not walk back , you have to depend on your transportation.

I do not know any boat owners that I run off shore with that do not make a complete check of everything before heading out
                    no need to wait for a dealer or shop to tell you your motor has a problem or have it fail because of not checking oil or like this things rusted up inside and out.
                    like Seahorse5 said there has been problems before with this type of thing where salt spary gets sucked in to motor.

Or do you have a different way these parts got salt water on them?
                    If a motor went under like you suggested everything would be rusted up not just butterflies on one side and some internals

Comment

Sure sounds like she's ingesting salt spray. Solving that is the first issue. When underway is the engine hood getting wet? Might be a transducer kicking up spray. Might want to confirm the Yamaha bulletin as applicable to your unit and if in fact it was done correctly? Get a competent marine mechanic to water test the boat.

Feel for you spending all that money. Your "previous dealer" should have recognized the corrosion issue. You need to find a good Yamaha dealer. What has Yamaha said?

Have to agree with 99Yam40 about operator diligence. I perform a weekly underhood visual and fluid check, as well as lubrication. Once or twice a year at the dealer isn't enough. Following the owners manual is best.

Having a 2006 on a 2008 boat doesn't mean much. My 2006 F150 was built in 2005 and campackaged on my new 2007 boat. Warranty starts when you buy and Yamaha has gone away from model year designation.
                      Stanley Islander 19, 2006 Yamaha F150TLRC. Ottawa, Canada
                      16' York River, 1986 Yamaha PRO 50.

Comment

Working...
                      X