Fuel Management Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Management Gauge

Searched and found lots; but not my problem. Only the stbd side works. Swapped the harness' on the sending units and same thing. So that's telling me the sending unit is good and there's a problem with the gauge. Just printed out the installation instructions to check for bad connection etc. What experiences does anyone have with this particular problem? Thanks guys.
    1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
    1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Is the arrow on bottom pointing to "TTL"? If press the set button is pressed will gauge change to "P", "S" or "PS"?
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
      Is the arrow on bottom pointing to "TTL"? If press the set button is pressed will gauge change to "P", "S" or "PS"?
      Negative. It's as if it doesn't know there are 2-engines. To edit my original post and after reviewing the installation guide you put up on an older post. When switching connectors on sending units the starboard side still powers up doesn't matter which sening unit I plug in. Does the gauge have to see both sending units? If continuity is broken in a sending unit is it safe to assume it won't see it? The sending units have black, orange and purple leads. Which leads should I check for cntinuity? I'm not convinced the gauge is bad. But all I reading about is clogged screens on the sending unit. Remember reading a post by the rodbolt and he said it's nothing to them. A paddle wheel and a coil of wire. Thanks Guys!

Comment

Looks like you need to program it for 2 motors and what he posted sounds like the way to do it.

Comment

The fuel management gauge connects to both tachs and it uses the tach signal along with fuel flow sensors to determine port and starboard engines, so need to make sure getting tach signal voltage to the green and green/white lead at FMM. The fuel fow sensors can be checked by removing them and blowing small amout of compressed air through them to spin paddle wheel(too much air pressure will damage sensor) and see if getting reading at gauge. The flow sensors and wiring to them are the most common problem.
          Last edited by boats.net; 09-21-2011, 08:54 AM.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks Bobby, can confirm leads from gauge connected to both tachs. Will a bad sending unit cause blank screen? I'm not seeing P, S, or PS. Completely blank screen. Other than physical test of sending unit (blowing through it) what readings should I look for on each lead on the sending unit? Will take apart unit as a last resort. If I tear the gasket, I buy a new sending unit. Thanks.

Comment

Does the mode button toggle between TTL, Econ and Sync, if not gauge may be bad.
              The manual does not state specs on sensors but you can compare readings on both sensors when applying air to paddle wheel to see if one is bad.
              Regards
              Boats.net
              Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Yep, mode works perfectly on stbd side except the sync function.

Comment

Working...
                X