new to gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to gas

I just bought a 1963 Alumacraft Queen 16 with a 1987 50 horse Yamaha engine. I believe that I winterised it correctly by running 4gals of marine antifreeze through it, forced the cylinders, drained the lower unit and ran fuel stabilizer through it and the fuel tank. So I know that it runs okay. I'm just curious as to wether this is a good motor or if there is some issues with it that I should know about. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I am not sure what "forced the cylinders" means or how you ran 4gals of marine antifreeze through it, but if you drained the lower unit did you find any sign of water in it and did you fill it back up with new gear lube?

Being it is a motor that is 24 years old , the motor has held up well and should give more years of service as long as you take care of it.
    Does it have good compression and when was all the preventative maintenance the Yamaha recommends done last?

Comment

Fat fingers and poor proof-reading, I meant to say fogged the cylinders( I used Deep Creep) I hope that works. As for the anti-freeze, I used the same ear muff looking things and a short length of garden hose, I just poured it into a funnel attached to the hose. A steady stream of anti- freeze came out before the first gallon was done with, but I figured more wouldn't hurt and compared to the price of a new motor it was cheap insurance. No, I didn't see any water when I drained the lower unit, and no.I didn't refill the unit with new oil yet. I'm not sure what type,what weight,or how much. We were going to get a heavy frost that night and I just wanted to get it drained. I do have a question about the lower unit though. There is the drain plug on the bottom of course, and there is a fill plug, but right alongside the fill plug there is another plug labeled Wash. What is that for. Also, I read somewhere os this forum, that you fill the unit through the drain hole. Is that correct, or did I read it wrong? Thanks for the help.
      Last edited by cromagman; 09-16-2011, 11:09 PM. Reason: added a question about the lower unit

Comment

The good thing about outboards is that is you trim them all the way down to store them the water drains out. So it is good that you did the anti-freeze but it was not really necessary. I would fill the lower unit asap. It is better to have gearlube in the lower than to not. You do not want anything to rust, and frost brings moisture. Use yamaha gearlube I believe it is 90w...90w80, but don't hold me to that. Fill it through the bottom hole till it comes out the top hole, plug the top hole, then plug the bottom hole. The other extremely important thing to do is to stabilize any remaining gas and run the engine out of gas. That way the carbs are empty and don't gum up while the engine sits over the winter.

Comment

Thanks for the info, I did run Sta-bil through it but I didn't run it till it ran out. I'll get right to the lower unit lube, thanks again.

Comment

Running the motor till it dies does not get all of the fuel out of the bowls and it causes some cylinders to run lean at the end.
            I think it is best to open the drains on the carb bowls and drain them that way if being stored for extended periods. If yours has the drain screws.
            but you still end up with fuel in the lines and pump so make sure the fuel is stabilize well.

Not sure what the other screw is for.. may be a good idea to see about a owner and service manual for your motor if you plan on keeping it for some time.
            Being that old you may have to order them
            YAMAHA MANUAL STORE

Comment

Well I've waited 52 years for a gem like this(actually a diamond in the rough), so I plan on keeping it for a very long time. I just got it less then a week ago so I haven't ordered any manuals for it but plan to. I've been fishing with a 16 ft starcraft with just an electric *****ing motor (that's all that's allowed on this state park lake that I go to) so having a gas motor is a whole new beast.

O

Comment

Working...
              X