200 HPDI charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 200 HPDI charging

Ok Im hoping for some help because Im at a loss. Already had some friendly "wasted expense" on a regulator/rectifier and cant afford to follow any more wild guesses, especially at the cost of some Yamaha parts. The situation is that I have a 2001 200 HPDI that wont charge. Running the battery voltage remains at 12.5, no matter the RPM, and I have serious tach fluctuations, (no actual engine RPM change) Can someone help me to do some good diagnosis of the lighting coil and stator before just replacing? I have the mechanical knowledge and a Fluke 88 meter so I am all set, just need some yamaha expert to help. I know diesels and cars, but outboards are new to me. Is there anyone that can help me with a procedure, diagram, email or something to get me pointed in the right direction. I could just replace the stator and lighting coil but thats nearly 800.00 of which I could use for fishing.. Thanks for any and all help.

Is it showing 12.5 on the gauge or at the batteries ? Check the battery connections to make sure they are tight, both on the eng. and at the battery. i know it sounds basic but never know. There are tests for the stator and lighting coil but you need adapters. How does the motor run otherwise?

Comment

A Yamaha service manual is the best tool you can buy if you want to work on the motor yourself. It will tell you what equipment is needed to do the job and give the steps and specs

Comment

thanks for the replies.
        I have checked the batteries and the cables, all are perfect, the one battery is a little down because that engine is not charging (I run separate batteries thru double switches for each engine) that way I am never totally running and draining the set if I encounter such a problem as I now have. The voltage reading is directly on the battery posts. My other battery is showing 13.6 when running so I know the starboard engine is not charging. I have purchased a manual but I think it is pretty lame. It says its a yamaha manual, but there is not one single sentence on checking the stator, just a few diagrams on position on the engine. The one single section on the lighting coil is pretty vague. It says to unhook the blue connector from the rectifier then check for voltage at the two green wire connectors (one terminal and two terminal connectors) I would assume that the one terminal wire is just a no brainer, but the double wire, do I adapt them together and then test as one, or do I test each terminal in the connector on its own? Just hate to jump something together a blow another electricial system part. Thanks for any additional info.

Comment

If this manual is from Yamaha and not an after market one on yamaha motors, or even if it is an after market one and they wanted you to jumper the two wires together I believe it would tell you to jumper them and then take a reading, but if it does not tell you to do that then don't.

Did you get this manual from a Yamaha dealer and is just for that model motor?
          It should tell you to take ohms readings and voltage tests cranking and at different RPMs and I believe you will need a peak reading voltmeter or a DVA adapter to take the readings with your Fluke88.
          At least that is what my C40 manual tells me

Comment

Working...
          X