Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

90 to 1 oil mix a little thin for a 2 stroke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 to 1 oil mix a little thin for a 2 stroke?

My manual says 90-1. If I wan't my outboard to last longer without problems wouldn't something like 50-1 make more sense? Think my compression is just slightly under 100 psi now which is why I'm thinking about mixing more oil.

Nope.
    It wont last longer because you will increase the oil to petrol ratio.
    Stick with a high quality 2T oil and to the manufacturers recommendations

Comment

using yamalube semisynthetic which I figure is the best and cheap too from the dealer. I'll run 80-1 anyway. A little more oil is better then not enough from what I know.

Comment

On the small outboards that call for 100:1....90:1 won't hurt it and the difference is small you prob already mix that anyway. 50:1 is 2 times the amount of oil, that can cause fouled plugs. Yamaha uses 100:1 on there small motors to inch out competitors by using half the oil. Be happy you don't have to spend twice the amount.

Comment

Originally posted by Finisher View Post
          On the small outboards that call for 100:1....90:1 won't hurt it and the difference is small you prob already mix that anyway. 50:1 is 2 times the amount of oil, that can cause fouled plugs. Yamaha uses 100:1 on there small motors to inch out competitors by using half the oil. Be happy you don't have to spend twice the amount.
          so the low amount of oil is for maximum performance gains? I read somewhere that it had also to do with less pollution in the water.

Comment

If it's just small outboard

Do not worry 80to1 would be fine with correct oil. There is no science with 2strokes running carbs. Mine idles at 100to1 and all out changes 50to1 being higher speeds increase the demand for more oil. You can lower the pollution and use semi syn oil, pennzoil,cabelas oil or stick with Yamalube has increase in moly content. Your motor has no demands really if it's small. Big 250hp motors with injection whole different ball ****. 100 to 1 will idle better less oil fouling
            Last edited by 200090tlry; 09-15-2011, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wpg Manitoba View Post
              so the low amount of oil is for maximum performance gains? I read somewhere that it had also to do with less pollution in the water.
              Not performance gains just to save the customer from having to use twice the amount of oil. This is something yamaha does so the consumer can save a little. Only on the small motors though. It has been that way for a long time before the EPA regs. If it was about pollution it would be a 4 stroke.

Comment

Working...
              X