Gas Smell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Smell

*****ed for about 4 hours last saturday. When I got back in I went up to the house and came back down on the boat about 1 1/2 hours later. While putting rods away I got a huge whiff of gas. Finally tracked it to the engine cover. The engine is a 2010 150 4 stroke , when pulled cover another huge whiff. Looked all around engine and could not see a leak and at this point no definate smell at all. The next day I ask a buddy to come take a look , when we pulled cover , had definate gas smell again. After a few minutes it disapeared again. Went over the whole engine again and could not see or smell where it is coming from. Someone else said that if there is the wrong prop on the boat , it could be causing the gas to get into the oil. Checked oil and it is clean and no smell of gas. The dealer did not deliver the engine with a stainless prop. I have a 17" aluminum on it and the boat runs great. Anyone else had this experience. I plan to call Yamaha tomorrow and ask about this before pulling the boat , but definately do not want to go out again until I know where the smell is coming from. Tight Lines / Freebird Sportfishing

I personally haven't heard of a wrong prop causing gas to mix with oil. A wrong pitch prop will give you the wrong rpm's. What rpm ate you getting at wot? As for the gas smell if there is any question it is best to bring it to your dealer so they can check the fuel system. There are many places you could be getting that smell from. Try pumping your primer bulb while the cover is off and see if fuel appears anywhere. But with fuel, better to be safe than sorry and have a professional look it over.

Comment

gas smell

I have the 150 four stroke and have been told there is a vent under the hood that causes this . They say no cause for alarm. Mine does it. high sierra

Comment

Working...
      X