Measuring Yamaha control cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Measuring Yamaha control cables

Where do you measure from when measuring Yamaha control cables for ordering new ones?

From the end of the movable ends or the jacket only?

If there are numbers on the cable identifying what it is ,where are they located as I did not see anything on the jacket
    Last edited by 99yam40; 09-13-2011, 01:29 AM.

Measure control cables tip to tip and round up to nearest foot.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

You gonna be using Yam(Teleflex) cables 99?? The new Teleflex Extremes are suppose to be great but I don't personally know anyone that's used them. They're smaller diameter and have a tighter radius bend restriction. I believe 4".
      1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
      1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

there should be a stamp on the old ones, usually within a couple feet from the ends, in inches

Comment

Originally posted by Tucker View Post
          You gonna be using Yam(Teleflex) cables 99?? The new Teleflex Extremes are suppose to be great but I don't personally know anyone that's used them. They're smaller diameter and have a tighter radius bend restriction. I believe 4".
          I used them, fantastic! That tight bend was just what I needed.
          tuckerboy

Comment

Originally posted by Tucker View Post
            I am looking at the ones on this site Yamaha premier II, not sure what they are. Just needed to see how to measure

Comment

Originally posted by jb123 View Post
              there should be a stamp on the old ones, usually within a couple feet from the ends, in inches
              I will have to look again to see if I can spot any markings, but I did not see anything printed on the jackets

Comment

Had to use a mirror, but I found the printing a little ways from the controls, just in a position I could not see because it was facing the boat hull/seat.
                They are Yamaha Premier II cables listed as 09 for 9 feet, so I am looking at buying the Genuine PowerMatched Premier II remote control cables sold here.
                Will order today

Comment

I'm anxious to hear follow up 99. I have a '99 and am considering the same thing but not sure if I'll see a appreciable improvement for the work involved. You just going to duct tape the new cables to the old and pull them through? Are the Yam cables plug & play complete with all the right fittings on the ends? I believe the Yam cables are Teleflex, is that the case? Did you try lubing the exsisting cables?
                  1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
                  1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

outer jacket cracked at the metal fitting at motor end and rust set in on the plain steel strands of wire spiraling down the cable that gives it it's stiffness. some have already rusted bad enough that they have broken , so are not supporting the cable anymore as well but still function fine . Mainly on the shift cable, but I see some cracks in the throttle cable also.
                    So I will change both while I am at it. Should ship on the 21st , less that $90 with shipping for both.
                    Should be direct replacement with the threaded ends on the cables just like the old ones on my rig, and they are not run inside anything on this Xpress

Comment

Working...
                    X