Help Speedometer wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Speedometer wiring

The boat when purchased had a non working speedometer. 1999 115 Yamaha.

Purchsed 6Y5-83570-S5 new, to replace an older one which was not regestering correctly. First off replaced the old sending unit in the tank. No change.
    The old guage had eight wires, plus two wires which came from another opening on the back. The 8 colors on the old meter is white, 2-blk, 1-yellow, 1 red, 1-gray, 1-white w/blue stripe, 1-green. the two from the other opening is 1-blue, 1-blk.

The new has 1-white, 1-yellow, 1-red, 2-black, 1-blue.

It seemed straight forward, white to pink wire from sending unit, yellow to yellow,red to red, 2-black to 2-black, but the blue? I looked at the harness wire from the key switch, and it did have a blue wire in it.

Is there a wire schmatic and maybe some voltage reading? I did ohm the pink and black wire from the sending unit and they are good.
    Any help will be appricated.

Make the dip switches are set correctly,
    SpeedoSettings.JPG
    The blue is backlight in gauge, connect to Nav light switch in boat or to yellow wire from key switch to have gauge light with light switch or key switch.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Help with Speedometer

Thanks for the quick reply.
      As suggested I checked the dip switch settings and they are as shown on the diagram.
      Checked white wire with test light, but would not light the light. Checked again with volt meter and it showed 12.5 volts. Checked top positive pin on sending unit with wire connected and only showed 4.5 volts. Disconnected wire from pin and it showed 12.5 volts with volt meter. Then did simular check with black ground using volt meter.

I disconnectd pink (positive) wire from tank, went to zero and started flashing as should showing low fuel.

Is there such a low amp feed from meter to sending unit it will not light a test light? I always check the test light positive to neg. on battery to make sure it is working. This is so simple what am I missing? New meter, new sending unit. and the fuel tank is only 14 inches in dia. hard to set up incorrecly.

The meter is only showing (3) bars, not even half full. The tank is full.
      Any sugestions or help is appricated.
      Mike

Comment

Ground the pink wire at tank sender and gauge should read full, pink disconnected gauge should read empty(if does gauge should be good). Remove tank sender and operate by hand to see if reading correctly if not then bad sender or gauge is not set correctly.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Speedometer problem

Thanks, when I proved the meter was good, I went back to the new fuel sending unit. The new sending unit was bad.

Comment

Working...
          X