Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator & impeller questions

Hello,
    I have a 2011 256CC Seafox with twin F150s and have a couple questions.

1. When I have the battery switch on "combine batterys" does this connect both alternators in parallel? When I run each engine on the muffs (one at a time) the battery voltage will change (go up with acceleration) when running the port engine. Even when switch is in combine mode.
    When running the starboard engine the battery voltage shows no change, in either mode of the battery switch. I am beginning to wonder if the starboard alternator is even connected...but somehow it would have to be or it would damage it wouldn't it?
    Also will it hurt to run a trickle charger with the battery switch in the position 1 as long as I don't start the engines?

2. The starboard engine (when ran on the muffs) doesn't seem to "pee" correctly at first .... it will spit and sputter for about 3 or 4 minutes then it seems to "catch prime" and does normal. When in the water it does ok right off the bat. Does this sound like an impeller going bad? It has been like this since new.

Thanks for any and all input.
    Kirk

First if it takes that long for it to pee. The impeler needs to be changed and you should change both impeler at the same time. I change might every year or two.
    On the Altenator, if you think that it isn't hooked up at all look at the motor that is giving you most battery out put and match it to the auther or you may need to replace it. I would think you should get the same voltage won way or the auther.
    Good luck!!!!!!!

Comment

It all depends on how it's wired up, is each engine wired to it's own battery or are they wired togather at a battery switch, are the engine ground cables wired togather on same battery. Each engine should charge on it's own but depends is wiring is correct.
      Running on ear muffs is not a test for water pump, may not be getting enough water, run it in water to see how it pumps.
      Regards
      Boats.net
      Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Found it

I had run down one of the batteries pumping out rainwater from my fishboxes and I think that is why it was giving me squirrely readings ...trickle charged up both batteries and each engine charges great ...sorry about my misunderstanding.

The impeller question still stands...lol... I am using the same muffs and water pressure on the starboard engine that I do on the port and the port immediately pees great.
        Both engines pee great right off the bat when in the water so I guess I shouldn't let it bother me.

Kirk

Comment

The "pee stream" is just a tell tale to let you know it is pumping, does not mean it is not cooling properly and will not be an indicator of a bad impeller. Best to do impeller service every 3-4 years depending on how many hours. Easy job to do, very bad if it fails.

Comment

Working...
          X