Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ghost ignition

Hi All,

I run a sport fishing company here in India.....(Yes in India) and I’ve got twin F60s on my 24 footer.
    Yesterday when out *****ing I head one of the engines crank up by its self and that too when we had both the engines running. I kinda ignored it and kept *****ing and an hour later with a big Gt on the line it happened again. This time though the engine cut off and was trying to crank up by its self. The key was in the "ON" position. I turned it off and put it back on and there it was cranking up by itself again.
    Can someone help me with what’s goin on?? Checked the wiring the batteries etc. The gauges keep flashing and turn off but I guess that happens when the engine is being cranked up.
    Any inputs???

Do a better job of checking the wiring and switch, as something is causing power to get to the start relay
    and I would think a starter that engaged while motor was already running would not be good as that would have a hard time meshing into the flywheel
    Last edited by 99yam40; 09-12-2011, 08:01 AM.

Comment

finally.....you were right.......its was the switch. But now a new problem. I guess the issue with the switch damaged my starter motor. The Pinion kicks up to mesh with the flywheel but it does not crank. guess i have to go for a new starter motor.

Comment

Check the voltage and the amps at the starter if you can find a DC clamp on amp meter.
        You may have a bad battery or connection

Comment

aight 99yam40........can i call u bob??? ok here's the story...the faulty switch kept the starter motor running and burnt out the armature in the starter motor. so u were right about the switch. alls well now. back to the reef and to the happy fishing grounds.......tights lines all!!!!

Comment

Good the hear it is running OK again, but bad to hear the starter was fried.
            Bob???? 99 will work if looking for short key strokes

Comment

Working...
            X