Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with carb on 8 HP 4-stroke

Hi all,

Newbie here (to this forum anyway). Just bought my second Yamaha outboard, a 2005 F8MSHD. I bought this from the guy knowing it was a "fixer", it wouldn't idle at all (below about 1500 rpm). Having cleaned quite a few outboard carbs, I thought this one would be "no sweat". I was a bit off base. The guy didn't tell me he had tried to clean out the carb. There are two "jets" that are quite stuck. They are item #10 and #11 in the diagram down below. I don't completely understand how this thing works but I believe the idle fuel travels through the #10 jet, is that correct? In any case, that one was not only stuck but completely clogged (there was evidence that there was really old fuel in the bowl, something bad anyway). What I ended up doing was taking a No. 60 drill bit (0.040" diameter) through this jet. I'm pretty sure the main nozzle is cleaned well (it's stuck but passes air through well). That did get the motor idling but I did notice that the motor would "bog down" at idle on the water (no matter what the mixture setting) and eventually die. I have a hunch that I drilled it out too much and it's running too rich. Aside from this problem and also not always starting real easily (usually after it's been idling), the motor runs fine. Compression is an even 152 psi. in both cylinders. So, here's my questions:

1. Can someone tell me what the diameter of this jet is supposed to be?
    2. Does it seem like that may be the likely culprit of it not idling well?
    3. I found a source online for the jet, what's the likilihood that the stuck jet can be drilled & pulled using an easy-out (or tell me an alternative method)?
    4. Any other problems that can cause a rich idle (other than mixture adjustment, I've tried the whole range there, pretty much anyways).

Thanks!
    Biederboat

Last edited by Biederboat; 09-10-2011, 07:51 PM.

Well I would try and soak the jet and then try and remove it. You should never clean jets with drills or any other metal object. I would try and remove it and get a new jet. Also by soaking it, try and get the long one out and clean that properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Finisher View Post
      Well I would try and soak the jet and then try and remove it. You should never clean jets with drills or any other metal object. I would try and remove it and get a new jet. Also by soaking it, try and get the long one out and clean that properly.
      Well, I hear ya. At the time I considered it a last resort but I admit I didn't try ultrasonic cleaning (don't have one). What I didn't mention was that I did soak and even gently heat the carb to no avail. I also tried (even more) to "peck" through using a sewing needle. I can try some more. Is there any "evidence" that this will work given that it's soft brass on aluminum? How about drilling out more and using an easy out? The main problem is that the previous owner kind of buggered up the slot for the screw driver; it's pretty well shot, near as I can tell anyway.

BB

Comment

i hate to say it but you may be wasting time. you order a new carb and you have a fresh start. you can try the drill easy out way and it may work. if it does you win if it doesn't ur buying a new carb. good luck p.s. there is more to that jet than the hole through the middle

Comment

Originally posted by Finisher View Post
          there is more to that jet than the hole through the middle
          Thanks, we are talking about the one that's #10 in the diagram, correct? That's the one I drilled out.

BB

Comment

yes i am talking the #10 but #11 is important too

Comment

Working...
            X