'91 130 v-4 oil overfill problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '91 130 v-4 oil overfill problem

Hi, I recently acquired a low hour 130 hp. Never had a oil injection model and had to buy the remote tank and controls(703 w/key) new. Everything tests (including tilt,emergency switch)like it is working perfect(by the boat place that mounted everything and by me and my service manual), but both times we went out, the powerhead tank overfilled late in the day after working perfectly all day. Wondering if anyone has heard of main icu/powerhead tank sensor just having intermittent problems. Can 4' swells cause float to keep filling? Sincerely Tom La Plante

as my mechanic tells me, there were many probs with the oil control units and most probobly thats your issue.

Comment

I've heard of the small tank shut off switch not working. But the Yamaha shop manual to trouble shoot the problem or check the iboats web site message board. Oh by the way the shut off switch is in the cap take it out and give it a look see you might just figure it out.

Comment

if it were bad it then would run continually. you can pull the sensor with key on, keep it right side up,should alarm sensing low level, then upside down, simulating full. if you can , hold oil pump to feel it turn on and off.you can manually test the remote tank sensor that way also. but the issue i had, periodically, no rhyme or reason when, i would get oil overflow from engine/main tank. my mechanic said the oil controls were known to be faulty in the older models.

Comment

I am experiencing the same problem. Sometimes the switch works OK, sometimes not and it overfills. When I take the switch out of the small oil tank and test it, all appears ok. i.e With the float at the top the pump is off, float 1/2 way down the pump turns on, then turns off if I move the float to the top. If I move the float all the way to the bottom the warning buzzer sounds and lghts flash on the digital guage. Trouble is when we take her out sometimes I get overflowing oil. I think the float is sticking! The switch appears Ok if I move it manually. I have resorted to putting a switch on top of the main oil tank to stop the pump. But this means I have to keep checking the level and flicking the switch to fill the tank. I am wondering if the float is full of oil? Can you buy the float on tis own?

Comment

my 150 pro-v still does this as i havent replaced the oil control unit as of yet and i found out today, boats.net has the best price of 160 and change and dealer over 200. it doesnt overflow all the time, but sporadically and ive tested both sensors, which leaves the control unit. i have my oil overflow line, which runs to the breather box, unhooked so i can always tell when it does it because i will have a blue puddle in my front pan. im ordering my unit and i will post the finding.

Comment

I have re-directed the over fill pipe back into the main oil tank.(needed about 10ft of tubing) The pipe is a bit small so it dosn't allow oil to overflow as quick as it is pumped in. It does however prevent loosing too much oil if the switch/control fails to turn the pump off. I am going to move the switch I fitted to the dash and just control it manually. I spoke ti a guy at he weekend and he replace bithe switch and control and still ocassionally has it overflow!

Comment

Working...
              X