no start condition f225

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no start condition f225

F225 ’02 has spark issues. Ran out, *****ed and stopped the motor, turned over, fuel rail charged, no start condition and got towed. It has not started again. Batteries were never discharged fully. I tested the lanyard, ignition switch and power relay. The power relay showed signs of corrosion on #3 ckt 20A fuse #1. Cleaned the connections throughout the ckt. The Crankshaft Pos Sens is within specs. The coil ckts show 12V to the connector. The coil got extremely hot while key on (smell of hot plastic). Tested the harness of the primary coil 2.5ohms R/Y to B/W & secondary coil-0ohms R/Y to plug boot. I believe the coils are bad. I also notice the new IAC module is not resetting on key off condition, the ecu to harness has voltage. I need to start isolating failures and I am not sure where to go from this point. Also what could cause coils to fail in bulk? Even if I buy the part, the failure mode may still exist to burn the coils. Thanks, morayinc
    Last edited by morayinc; 09-05-2011, 03:56 PM.
    Morayinc

Need to run voltage output test with a peak reading voltmeter to see if voltage is below or above specs on pulsor coils and ECM output.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Does it have a water pressure sensor or speed sensor on the motor?

Comment

no water pressure sensor or speed sensor on the motor. I did work the wiring and had a brief moment of IAC function. "seems" to be a ground issue. I have found 3 engine ground points. I will source all grounds. I have also found a bit of resistance in the three wire plug feeding the #1 20 amp fuse. I will focus on that item. Other forum posts indicate that as a failure point.
        Morayinc

Comment

I have found the culprit for my DOA electrical issue. The power relay unit has a bad prong. I noticed while chasing wires, the system came alive intermittently. I removed and nudged the prongs to notice the one gave way too easy. The fuel system uses the same relay. I swapped relays and the failure symptom was removed. I have a new relay on order.
          I will give it a test when the part comes in.
          Morayinc

Comment

Make sure you check the black three wire (red with yellow tracers) plug in the port side fwd of the pan all it takes is one of those prongs being n/g. Cant tell you how may plugs I have had to do away with. You may have hit it while looking around and it will give you the same problems.

Comment

ECU to #2 & #5 coil (blk/wht) grounded

02 f225, I have power to the electronics after replacing the power relay. The problem is the bottom coil will not fire. I have moved the coil around and the failure seems to be the harness lead to the ECU (blk/Wht). The continuity of the wire is good. Power to the coil is good. The blk/wht wire shows continuity to ground. any advice?
              Morayinc

Comment

Working...
              X