F15 wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F15 wont start

I have an 2001 F15 that was giving me leaky carb issues. I rebuilt the carb (needle was real bad) the motor ran fine in the driveway. Placed the motor on the boat in the water it started, ran about 3 min and stopped. I can't get to start now. Do you think the carbs are still the issue? Gary

yes and it may have to do with the trash in the fuel, fuel tank, pump, and lines if you have not cleaned/replaced them

Comment

Thanks, I'll do that today

Comment

I clean the carb again, it runs but poors gas from the carb. That indicated to me that the needle and float are not shutting off the gas. I see no adjustment for the float, is there one?

Comment

float

If the float is not made of plastic you should be able to bend the tab that the float needle actually pushes against. Make sure if there's a return spring between the needle and float, that its properly installed (it should be on the opposite side of the float holding the needle to it.

You may also want to check your float level as well. Its usually measured with the carb upside down, from the carb body measured to the bottom edge of float bowl. Generally, the bottom edge of the float is about parallel with the carb body when turned upside down.

I suspect if you either have crap stuck at the seat of the carb or the needle isn't seating fully...

Good luck...
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks for your reply. The float is plastic. The needle has a grove on it, that fits into the float. I see no way to adjust the float level.

Comment

Did you have to replace the seat in the carb itself and if so, is it possible it isn't seated fully?

I agree (to my knowledge), you really can't adjust the plastic float however your problem is pointing towards the needle not closing or the seat worn(somewhat unusual).. On some carb's, if it has a standard paper gasket, the gasket has to go on first, then the float/needle/pin. If its an o-ring style, disregard the above.

One other thing to check, make sure the float itself is NOT LEAKING. You can shake it and listen for fluid inside or hold it under water and look for leaks(air bubbles comig out). If its got a pin hole it'll fill with fuel and stay open indefinitly....The float is 10 years old now (unless replaced previously) and the ethonol/age may be breaking it down...

I'd pull the carb and float bowl and hook up an auxilary fuel line to the carb. Manually open and close the float (up and down) and see if it does indeed stop fuel flow. Also, pay attention to where the float is when its closed (again, should be about parallell with the carb body when closed). That should narrow down where the problem is...

Good luck..
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
              X