Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 50hp 2 stroke HELP NOT STARTING

Just picked up the motor about a month ago
    It didn't come with controls so jumped it off at the silenoid to test run before i exchanged some cash started good and ran like a top tested tilt and trim by running blu and green leads straight to the battery posts and all was well there too
    Took a couple weeks to install motor and got a new 703 control box hooked everything up and turned the key NOTHING
    I checked around for loose connections and blown fuses couldn't find anything to prevent starting but did find blown fuse on the trim tilt wire replaced it and it started working fine
    Ok played around with a few wires and tried again and motor fired from keyswitch perfectly ok figured problem solveD
    I musta cranked it another 30 times that day without a problem so the next day put her in for a test drive
    It fired right up and off I went everything seemed fine
    Got back to the dock shut it off and things haven't been good since
    I was able to use the ol screwdriver accross the silenoid posts a few times to get it going but now that is not working
    I checked for voltage at sekinoid its good brown wire with key on good
    Figured I had bad selinoid so replaced it still nothing but it does click
    New battery and cables and still no start
    Yesterday I jumped from battery straight to starter posts and it fired right up
    I just can't figure it out
    I'm thinking the relay may be bad that the starter and tilt and trim are tied into but don't have a clue maybe I have wire hooked up wrong but I've matched the colors to the colors on the posts
    Pretty much everytime I turn the key now I get nothing or a clicking noise from area of relay same with trim tilt button

Anyone have any ideas this things driving me nuts

Get out your volt meter and start checking for where you are loosing voltage at when hitting the key,

bad cable or connection is my guess

Comment

loose wire some where

Comment

Thanks guys for the input
        Voltmeter was key
        Used the ohm and couldn't get it to 0 out so started checking the grounds
        Long story short the negative battery termial connection was pulled loose but shrink wrap hid the problem
        Used jumper cables to find problem hope my mistakes can help someone else down the road
        THANKS AGAIN GUYS GREAT SITE

Comment

Working...
        X