Motor wont come down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor wont come down

I have a 1996 Yamaha 2 stroke outboard motor. It won't come down. Is there a place to put in hydraulic fluid?

There is a fill plug on power trim reservoir, view owners manual at www.yamaha-motor.com with instructions.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

There should be a relay for the tilt/trim pump motor itself, usually one for going up and one going down.

If you have enough fluid, and you don't hear anything when pushing the down button but hear the motor run when activating the up button, a relay is probably toast.

There should also be a release screw on the left side of the transom mount bracket that you can turn to release hydralic pressure and let the engine drop via gravity..

I suspect you have plenty of fluid if its staying up, the pump motor isn't reversing allowing the engine to come down...

Good luck...
      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 09-06-2011, 03:14 PM.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

how easy is it to replace the relay ?

Comment

Relay

The relay just plugs into the wiring harness.

I don't know where it is on your engine, you may hear some clicking when activating the trim/tilt up or down, follow that noise...

A shop manual would certainly help.

The relay usually is a little larger than a inch square, black, and again, usually have 4 connectors sticking out of of that plugs into the harness.

Following the wiring harness thru the engine up from the electric pump may also help...

If you go to the parts finder (at the bottom of post #2) and put in your engines information, it may show you where it is...

On my 2006 F150 its a rectangular unit that bolts to the left side of the engine with 4 wires (with O ring terminals on the end). Yours may be the same, again a shop manual, or look it up under parts for your specific engine would help...

If you post the size engine, model, etc I may be able to find it on the parts fisch...
          Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 09-06-2011, 03:15 PM.
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

T&T

You may want to check for power at relay when you activate your trimdown button'''

Comment

Working...
            X