gasoline/additive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gasoline/additive

It seems that everyone I come in contact with to include rebuilders indicate that one of the bigest problems on the two clycle engines is the gasoline that has had a ethnol mixture.
    Q/ Just who makes gasoline without ethnol?
    Q/ What can I add to the gasoline to lessen the effect of ethnol?
    This motor has just been rebuilted and the mech indicate that he adds marvel mystery oil to his and has never had any problems.
    A yamaha certified tech told me that this sea mist will cause one to lock up/ another one swears by it so give me your thoughts on this matter.

what is sea mist?

Comment

Ponderosa

It is an additive that is suppose to displace water and provide a lubricant to the gas used a lot along the costal areas.

Comment

Sorry, I have never seen nor heard of it before. I thought you where calling marvel mystery oil by a different name. had me confused

There are a lot of different snake oils out there that say they fix or cure ethanol problems, but I really do not think you can fix it once it goes bad.
        Some may help prevent problems but the best thing to do is run the motor often and do not keep fuel for very long, just keep burning it and replacing. Stabil and Startron are two I have heard about, but can not swear there effectiveness over long term storage, because I do not keep fuel for very long

Comment

all companies produce non e-10 but it is added in at distribution points, search for sellers of non e-10 or hope for the best with stabil or startron
          if you already have separation it is best to drain and rid of contents and start over

Comment

Here in the liberal state of Maryland, 10% ethanol is the only gas available. You guys that have a choice are blessed. Not sure where you are Ponderosa but if you can get non-ethanol fuel do it. If not get to know your Startron dealer. Perhaps Sea Mist is really Sea Foam? A great product for carbon build up, but not sure how effective it is for fighting the damaging effects of Ethanol.
            1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
            1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

You note the motor is rebuilt. Did you also address the fuel lines, primer bulb, pick-up tube, etc.? If not and the lines etc are aged or not rated for low permeability or ethanol resistance, you could be heading for a repeat performance on the carbs anyway. I also suggest a 10 micron water separating filter.

Ethanol is a solvent that often loosens deposits left from 100% gasoline and also disintegrates rubber causing the resulting particles to find their way into the smallest passages.

Comment

Ethonol

I Found a product called "K100" that cures ethonol problems and actually works. I found it my local motorocycle shop and tried it in my 1997 Angler 205 with a 2006 F150. In the boat has the original gas tank and has never been drained fully. I was finding "milky droplets" when I drained the fuel filter (both engine and transom mount). Once I started using the K100, the droplets are gone!!! The fuel itself is not as clear as it should be, (I know the water is still there) however it keeps it in suspension so it'll burn with the fuel.

The owner of the motorcycle shop showed me several containers containing the same amount of water mixed with the same amount of fresh ethonol fuel and different brand fuel additives... The K100 was THE ONLY ONE that did not spearate and stayed clear.

As for Non-ethonol fuel, at least in Florida, most marinas sell non-Ethonol fuel and WON'T SELL ethonol fuel. They'll fill a separate gas tank, but NOT YOUR CAR (as there's no road taxes on the fuel). If you can put Non-ethonol fuel it'll at least keep the fuel from breaking down old rubber..

BTW, my fuel filter cup for the Yamaha fuel filter swelled approx .030" and would not seat in the mount. It was replaced under warranty as the service manager stated ethonol will cause this problem. I don't use ethonol fuel anymore and prefer to pay a little more and eliminate the problem altogther...
                Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 09-05-2011, 07:03 AM.
                Scott
                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by Ponderosa View Post
                  It seems that everyone I come in contact with to include rebuilders indicate that one of the bigest problems on the two clycle engines is the gasoline that has had a ethnol mixture.
                  Q/ Just who makes gasoline without ethnol?
                  Q/ What can I add to the gasoline to lessen the effect of ethnol?
                  This motor has just been rebuilted and the mech indicate that he adds marvel mystery oil to his and has never had any problems.
                  A yamaha certified tech told me that this sea mist will cause one to lock up/ another one swears by it so give me your thoughts on this matter.
                  Maybe you're thinking about Seafoam, a proven gasoline additive that's been around for decades. Folks use it to stabilize fuel and to help prevent and remove carbon. It's sold just about everywhere, Walmart, hardware stores, etc.

Comment

Working...
                  X