06 yamaha 225 problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 06 yamaha 225 problems

hello, i have a 225 hp vz225tlr that i have just started having some problems with trying to get the motor running up to top speed. it idles fine( it does sound like its missing or sputtering a little bit when i give it gas for a fast idle but its been doing that since late last year), but when i push the pedal down to give it gas to get moving i cant get it above 2500 or 2600 rpms ( i think, its been awhile since ive tried so i dont remember the exact number) and its not sounding right. louder than normal. i talked to someone and he told me there are 3 filters that need to be changed. he told me im essencially starving the motor with the filters being clogged up so it cant get enough gas. is this the case? he knows his yamaha motors, i would just like to hear it from someone on here too. i havent changed the filters on it yet and this is the fourth year ive had it. i was thinking myself before i talked to him that this could be the case and im glad he reinforced my thinking. he told me i should order them here. he said they will total to about $200, but im not sure which filters they are.
    also, my motor has been overheating easier. especially if i idle with it trimmed high for shallow water even for just a minute. even with it run normally its been getting up to around 140 or so degrees. is this normal? i never payed much attention to the motor temp before this started happening. the lower unit is sometimes pretty warm when i pull the boat out. it doesnt seem to be spitting as much water as it used to but when i hooked a garden hose up to the motors hose and turned it on, the water shot out fine. so im pretty sure theres no clog in the line. ive heard it could be an impellar??? or could those filters be causing that too.
    i went out yesterday and raised the motor up and it was going very slow. the tt motor sounds like its runnning fine but it was going up kinda slow and it went down even slower and seemed to be sticking. it seemed like the battery was dying but thats not the case. i just had my trim totally redone at the end of 09 so im surprised to be having issues again.
    thanks, sorry for such a long one
    ben

Start with a compression test. Needs to fuel pressure tested and connected to diagnostic computer to check high fuel pressure pump and check for fault codes.
    Water pump should replaced every couple of years.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X