Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

115HP Two Stroke - Steering Issue - Install 2nd Grease Zerk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 115HP Two Stroke - Steering Issue - Install 2nd Grease Zerk?

I just purchase a 93 115HP two stroke with stiff steering. I've disconnected the steering cable and the engine is still difficult to turn. Movent back and forth if very difficult and sounds like the bushings are dry. I've tried adding grease but it only comes out the bottom bushing. I've tried soaking the upper arm with PB Blaster and moved the motor back and forth with not much improvement. I've tried heating with MAP gas to get the old grease in the upper bushing to move but this has not worked.

Has anyone drilled and installed a second grease zerk at the top of the shaft into the top bushing? If so where? Or does anyone have any other ideas.

thanks,

Mark

Have the exact same issue at same motor Mod. 1991.
    The grease comes off the lower bushing only.
    However, my engine is very easy to swivel so havent thought about a second grease zerk...

Comment

Rust/corrosion is the most Lilly problem bot just hard grease.

may have to disassemble to fix properly

Comment

Stiff Steering Fixed with Grease Zerk Installation

After trying torches and penetrating oil, the motor would only turn very stiffly. Instead of trying to break down and old motor, I installed two grease zerks near the top of the steering arm in the mid-section. Instantly was able to get grease to upper bushing and now motor turns freely and quietly.

Comment

try heating the tube or pumping IN any type of degreaser to loosen up hardened grease

Comment

Working...
          X