8 hp will not idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 hp will not idle

I have a 2006 8 hp, 4 stroke, high thrust outboard that was purchased new with my sailboat in 2006. The engine has been cared for and regularly maintained. Have had no problems until 1 week ago when it began exhibiting the following behavior: hard to start and will not idle. Have checked quick connect gas line, fuel filter, spark, etc. All are fine and gas is clean and fresh. Engine also maintained in immaculate condition. Have read other threads indicating that carb may be cause and require cleaning. Would this make sense and is this something that a mechanically inclined person could handle or would this require a certified technician?

On a single carb motor, the job of removing and cleaning the carb shouldn't be too challenging. You should be using a fuel stabilizer like Stabil or Seafoam in your gas tank.

Comment

Thank you. I will attempt. My main question is whether my diagnosis (carb) sounds about right or if there is something more obvious or sinister at work. I realize cannot be diagnosed over email. Just looking to see if others have had similar experiences and this sounds like the right cause.

Comment

I realize this is some time later than the original post but maybe it will help others with the no idle issue.
        I just recently experience the same problem.
        I removed and disassembled the carb I found two pieces of foriegn matter under the plate that resides on top of the carb. At first I thought they were pieces of dried fuel enamel. But after a close inspection with a set of loops I realized they were seed pods from a birch tree. Which I do have several of around my house.
        So then I wonder how the heck these would get past the filtering system of the motor. And to my surprise there is no filter system. Just a baffle.
        This was a first year 8.8 high thrust. My neighbor just bought they new 9.9 and also to my surprise there is no filter media in his motor either.

As far as I’m concerned ALLLLLL gas motors should have more than just baffling. The air is caulk full of motor killing abrasives. To correct issue I bought some 60 PPI filter foam and put it in the lid of my Yamie.
        Other than this particular issue this has been one great motor.

Comment

The whole theory is that out on a lake/river/ocean there would be very little dust or dirt....so outboards don't have air filters. Your foam idea is O.K. As long as it doesn't restrict air flow, especially at wide open throttle....

Comment

And that it does not deteriorate and end up inside the motor.
            You do realize a little fuel spray comes back out into that area

The motors jets are sized by engineers to accommodate the amount of restriction that is there, so you restrict it more and you have problems by running too rich

Comment

I have been boating for about sixty years now. I can't even begin to recall the last time I was boating on a dusty lake.

Recently flew on the sorriest of sorry air lines, Delta. Looked out the window at the inlet of the motor on the wing and noticed there was no air filter.

What is wrong wih these engine makers?

Comment

Tp solve your issue with junk getting it there, simply get a cowl cover and it'll keep any debris, mud daubers, etc, from getting in there.

On my engine, the cover also cover the "pisser" which critters like to get into and clog up...

Yamaha makes them for specific engines for a nice tight fit.
                Scott
                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                X