2004 F225 blowing fuel pump(s) and fuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 F225 blowing fuel pump(s) and fuse

Here is the deal, I have a 2004 F225, 3700 hrs, about 1000 hrs on new powerhead. I had to replace my fuel pump (low pressure) for the first time about 4 weeks ago. New fuel pump lasted about 3 hrs the started blowing fuses (5amp), bought a used pump ad had the same results while waiting on a replacment from yamaha to cover the $650 new pump. I have searched through past threads about this same issue ad really can't find a solution to the problem. My mechanic said he cleaned the vst filter, replaced all fuel filters, and changed the fuel/water seperator before installing the new pump that lasted 3hrs. I replaced my fuel line and primer bulb about 6 months ago for prevenative mantaince. I'm at a loss as to why these 2 new pumps would blow fuses and burn up when my last pump lasted 3700 hrs, mostley with ethanol fuel.

Can someone who has been through this please respond with a solution. Thanks!

not real sure what is going on, but I would monitor the inlet vacuum and output pressure and maybe check for air getting into the system

Comment

ouch

check what pressure you have on the low pressure pump should be 10 psi there is a relief valve that regulates it .
      see number 1 on link below

these pumps are do not take much to jam up and blow the fuse most likely a bit of something has jammed it up you can sometimes get them going again.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...202/parts.html
      Last edited by mitch; 08-23-2011, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Same Problem

I have the same engine; it has about 650 hours on it and I just started blowing the fuse and the engine will not start now; I took it to a shop this morning. I will let thme know to check the LP pump and maybe take it apart to check for crap in the lines or pump; any further information you received?

thaks for any information you may have. I will start replacing fuel lines this winter to get rid of the old hoses E-fuel problamatic.

Comment

just on a whim on the port side of the engine in the front of the bottom cowl there is a black connector with 3 red wires with yellow tracers just disconnect that connector and check for burns or wiggle it and see if it cuts the motor out. worth a shot.

Comment

Working...
          X