1999 OX66 250 (S250TXRX) Oxygen sensor questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 OX66 250 (S250TXRX) Oxygen sensor questions

I've been trying to chase down some demons in this motor, and have replaced/repaired/tuned just about everything on board (new fuel filters throughout, sync & link, TPS adjust, new plugs, tested and gone through all electrical, replaced fuel pump resistor, new LP fuel pumps, etc etc etc.

I think I have the final issue narrowed down to O2 sensor related performance. The problems/questions are two-fold:

1. I can clean the dip tube and sensor, but after running for 5 or 10 hours, it will be completely fouled (clogged solid) again. In fact when I pulled it the other day to inspect it, it was soaked in oil and had hard carbon deposits that I had to drill out (by hand) with a small twist drill.

2. When freshly cleaned, I'm getting the right looking voltage readings, but off by a decimal point... I have my meter set to 20 vdc, and instead of reading around 0.05 volts (5 millivolts) and varying between 0.02 and 0.09, it i reading around 0.5 and ranging from 0.20 up to around 0.80 while underway (under load). Also, when I cover the #1 throttle opening, I don't see a dramatic change in the reading at idle. It goes from maybe 0.55 to 0.70 and then gradually back to 0.55 or 0.60 and when I uncover it, it basically does the opposite. I was under the impression that the change should be more dramatic.

I am using Yamalube 2M oil. I am using Ring Free with every tank. Oil rod has been adjusted and oil burn is "normal" (she's burning about 1 gal of oil per roughly 30 to 35 gallons of fuel). Plugs are the right heat range. I have run a couple of gallons of Pennzoil Premium Plus (semi synthetic) but I've never heard anything but positive results from people using the same oil on their Ox66 motors.

1. Any ideas on why the dip tube would be fouling so badly? Faulty heater in the Oxygen sensor?

2. What's up with the voltage readings? Unless I'm crazy, "millivolts" on a 20VDC scale should read as 0.05 (that would be "five millivolts") which is what the spec says. Why on earth would the Oxygen sensor be developing 10x the voltage? Or is the spec wrong? The volt meter functions normally otherwise. (IOT, when I bridge the battery it doesn't say "123.5 volts")

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

http://www.boatsetup.com/O2sensor.pdf

Comment

Working...
    X