burning too much fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• burning too much fuel

I have a pair of 1999 225 2 stoke motors on my boat and the port side motor is using almost twice the fuel as the other one. They each have separate tanks, so its easy to notice the difference in consumption. Earlier in the season, I thought I had a bad tank of gas (ethanol related). The port engine wouldn't idle, but I could get it running on the other tank. After emptying the fuel filter, treating the tank with k100 and topping it off with fresh gas, it has been working better, but has stalled once on me. I know the fuel gauges can be unreliable and I have not filled the boat up again to confirm the discrepancy, but I think the gauges are ok.

Does anyone have any thoughts on why one motor would use twice as much fuel as the other? I have had the boat for a number of years and this is a new problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

do you see a gas sheen on the water ??
    most likely you have a bad low pres fuel pump or 3

while youre servicing your motor, clean/replace the VST filter and clean tank

Comment

More info: just filled up and put 82 gallons in the port tank and 50 in the starboard tank. 30 gallon difference. Motor also stalls more often, at low speeds only.

Thanks for the quite reply! Do you know if crappy gas would cause any of the fuel pump issues or would it be more age or wear related?

Supposedly, we just had the 3 "something" (filters or pumps) serviced at the beginning of the season. It was supposed to run much better.... haven't seen that yet....

I'll keep you posted. Plan on checking in with the mechanics on Monday.

Thanks again jb 123!

Comment

Working...
      X