1998 yamaha outboat 2 stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 yamaha outboat 2 stroke

Helo to all the member am a new guy. I just bought the boat from dealer as it ..i test run it today it run very well for about 5 minute the am feel that i lost the power then the engine start to die on me ... The compression is . 120,125,120 ..after the engine die i try to start but i hear no sound at all .. The starter it not run.. I wait for about 10 minute then try to start then it run from that on. Can some one help me and let me know what the problem . I never have the 2 stroke before thank you for all the reply

Since these traditional two strokes do not have fancy computer driven fuel systems, they fall under the old simple "spark or gas" routine, which is why I appreciate ours. Could be one of many issues.

IMHO, a big tattle tale is the starter not turning. Often bad electrical connections heat up, drop voltage and then lose contact. After cooling, a poor connection returns only to repeat the loss until it completely gives up the ghost. This can happen on the hot or ground or both. This becomes very frustrating if your looking for a failed part or similar smoking gun. While I haven't had specific experience with our boat, I know of batteries and alternators on cars that were damaged by a bad connection easily remedied with a $5 cable. Also, the starter is the biggest single load.

I also recently came within a hair width of sending my GPS back when it quit for no reason. Then the horn didn't work. The problem was a corroded 20 amp inline fuse serving the entire console. The contact blades near rotted through without blowing the fuse. Good thing for me Humminbird incorporates low voltage protection.

The battery could also be on its last leg.

I suggest breaking and cleaning every connection between the battery and motor on both sides including fuses. Test or temporarily swap out the battery. Then continuing with the connections on the motor.

BOAT is an acronym for "Break Out Another Thousand" - Good luck and keep us posted.
    Last edited by throrope; 08-17-2011, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X