97 80hp 2 stroke on a cobia 18 centerconsold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 80hp 2 stroke on a cobia 18 centerconsold

I have replaced gas line to tank from filter to motor gas joint at motor and had carb's rebuilt it runs fine for a long time and then bog's like it is missing or running out of gas but it stays running 1/4 runs fine get to 3/8 to half and sounds like it is skipping or running out of gas like a boging sound and i will let it idle for about a min. or so and it will takeoff and run fine it dont do it at the same running times it can run 30 mils or run 4 mils and do it. but i have not replaced gas joint on motor it has a 1/4 gas line running to built in filter on motor vent to gas tank is open

Need some help 97 80hp 2 stroke

Comment

From personal experience, posts here and my favorite boat site, the hands down leading cause of symptoms your experiencing is the 10% ethanol in today's fuels attacking the rubber in fuel systems. I had thought this was limited to older materials, but recently found my 1 year old primer bulb getting "squishy". If the fuel line or any other accessory up stream of the motor is being attacked or clutter is in your tank, you may be experiencing a repeat. This may be exasperated by the 1/4" fuel line which doesn't need much to clog.

Since it's easy, I suggest taking a hard look at the lines for any degradation and opening the bowl drains on the carbs to look for crap. If it were my boat and the materials are not specifically labeled for low permeability or resistance to ethanol, I'd replace fuel hoses and all accessories again, move up to 3/8" line and if you don't have one, install a 10 micron water separating filter. Sierra/Teleflex Marine offers economical kits. The low permeability stuff is more expensive, but still cheaper than a failed trip.

As I'm writing this, I'm remembering our '04 Yamaha has a "limp home" mode. When the engine overheats or the oil tank runs low, it limits rpm and sounds the alarm. If the water pump is on its last leg or the intake gets clogged, that may result in overheating after some run time and engage the mode, but if the buzzer isn't working, nothing will let you know.

Good friend and mentor Charter Boat Captain Rudy replaces his water pump annually and suggests every three years for the recreational boater. He meticulously maintains his gear and ran a couple of these two strokes beyond 3,000 hours.

Hope this helps, good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

Cold be running smitten rich

How many turns out with pilot screws 1 1/2? That's 360 degrees plus 180, I would back off 1/4 turn clockwise 1 1/4.

Comment

Working...
        X