Tank vent issue on 150 HDPI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank vent issue on 150 HDPI?

I have been having issues with my 2000 150 HPDI on a 2000 Glastron SF185 for sometime and after coming here and having a reccomendation to check the VST filter I was hoping that I was ready to go. Now the motor runs fine but I seem to have a fuel supply issue coming into the motor. At first is sucked the bulb flat and then I disconnected the fuel line coming from the tank and the bulb came back and I heard an "exhale" from the gas line.

I was running it this week at the lake and when it would start to starve for fuel I would shut off the motor, disconnect the gas line between my tank and the buld, pump up the bulb and away we went for 10 - 15 minutes.

I got back tonight and checked the lines, blew out both my gas line before the fuel water seperator, blew back into my tank, blew the vent line out to the vent (I have a perko vented gas cap) and also blew into the tank on the vent line as well. I am hoping this cures it as I do not have any idea on what to do next but to try an external tank which I will do if this does not work.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Could there still be something wrong with my motor?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!
    Bob

" At first is sucked the bulb flat and then I disconnected the fuel line coming from the tank and the bulb came back and I heard an "exhale" from the gas line."

From this statement I would have to say the problem is with the check valve in the bulb depending where you disconnected the line as an exhale means pressure relieving and the bulb going flat means a vacuum being formed with a restriction in the supply system

Comment

I should have mentioned that I replaced the bulb and now the issue still happens but the bulb does not go flat, actually what had happened was when I went to sqeeze the bulb the first time it would not come back.

This was after I had the VST filter replaced, lower fule pumps and also the middle fule pump part # 68F-13907-00-00.

Comment

Re: tank vent issue

I have a similar issue with my '05 F150. Already changed all the filters. The bulb doesn't flatten, but I can watch the fuel draining out of the fuel bowl as the motor is running. After a few minutes, no fuel in the bowl and the motor dies. When it is running, it only runs about 2/3 power.

Comment

Until last weekend I had two primer bulbs, one at the tank and the other at the motor for convenience, both new last year. The bulbs were Kmart items with a knock-off name. The one at the tank went flat for quite some time.

Last week I noticed a very similar suction anomaly squeezing the bulb at the motor and didn't like the feel. I then pumped the one at the tank and was surprised at how big the motor bulb got. While out and about, I stopped at West Marine. What I found was a choice between bulbs. The clerk pointed out a near $30 bulb labeled for low permeation and then said I could buy the normal one instead for about $12 bucks.

I then realized not every manufacturer embraces formulations to withstand the dreaded ethanol. Since I can't recall the last time I actually used the one at the motor, I tossed both and put a new high priced one at the tank upstream of the 10 micron filter.

IMHO, if your fuel lines are more than four years old, I'd replace from tank to motor including pick-up tube and all accessories and be very picky about the new stuff. The cost is still more attractive than a failed trip and eliminates many potential problems that then helps to identify remaining culprits.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

I question how well the perko vented gas caps actually vent. JMHO

You might remove to screws and see if the screen is dirty.
            I ran mine backed off a half a turn and may have just been coincidence, but it seemed to help.

Comment

Working...
            X