Yamaha 97 Saltwater series start problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 97 Saltwater series start problems

Our motor starts 1st time every time, but after we run the motor for half an hour or more, it will not start. We leave it for about an hour and then it will start again 1st time.
    The crank is turning ,but there is no ignition.
    Does these engines have a distributer and if so could there be a crack in it that expands when hot and then cools down again allowing us to restart engine.
    Could it be an airlock in the fuel line and if so ,why does it start again after an hour.
    Could water some how get into the ignition system and after an hour be dry enough to restart.
    We have replaced fuel line and tank right up to primer bulb near motor.

Man, I hate this kind of problem. It could be a multitude of things. Is the primer bulb still hard when she won't start. Wondering if you have a electrical component in the begining stages of failure? What size motor is this?
    1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
    1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

It's a 150hp motor and the primer does go soft after we try and start it.

Comment

You need to be testing things to see what is going on. A Yamaha service manual the proper test equipment will get some answers.
        Need to know if it is sparking properly. Voltages in and out will give even more info if missing or low spark.
        Maybe a fuel peculation problem if spark is good,flooding motor with fumes making it too rich to fire properly

Comment

Originally posted by lund007blue View Post
          It's a 150hp motor and the primer does go soft after we try and start it.
          I believe you got a problem with an air leak in the fuel line, or maybe bad diaphram in the low pressure pumps. When pumping primer bulb you fload all the fuel filters, fuel pumps and fill the carb bowls. When this happens the fuel can't go anywhere and the bulb gets hard. And, like 99Yam says, you need to get a shop manual and get an understanding of what's going on. Crack in the distrubutor...
          1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
          1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

If there was a leak in the fuel line, then when I prime it and the bulb goes hard, should'nt the engine kick over as there should be fuel in the carb..

Comment

Where could I get a shop manual for a 1997 150hp SaltWater series outboard.
              My owners manual says it's an L150F.

Comment

Working...
              X