1 cylinder not firing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 cylinder not firing

Hi I just bought a 94 - 130 SWS which was recently serviced and is very clean. It started fairy quickly but when I put it in the water I could not get over 2,000 RPM, except twice when I got to 4,200. Upon testing I discovered a fried ignition coil and replaced but had the same problem.

I started to test the CDI resistance tests but was told that they were not very reliable.

I am now looking at getting a used CDI to see if it helps, if it doesn't I can always re-sell it.

Any Thoughts,
    Thanks
    Jim

did you swap coils to see the problem change place or just no spark from coil? so many want to blame electronics for bad performance when 9 out of 10 times it is carb issues. i watched a tech pulling plugs on a pro-v 150 i have, showed no spark or sound change when wire pulled while runnin. ohm tested plug, checked out.toyed with carb throats and there it was, a clog in my # 5 carb and fixed in 10 mins.I cleaned them a week before , assuming i had them perfect but now theyre great.

Comment

Jim,
      There's got to be a reason why that coil fried - could be a shorted spark plug wire. Wouldn't hurt to replace all of the plug wires considering the age of that 130. Might fix your problem before you invest in another CDI .
      Good luck,
      Ken K

Comment

Hi
        Yes I did switch coils and plugs with the same result #2 cylinder will not fire. I borrowed another CDI with no correction.

The cylinder is getting fuel but no spark.

I believe that we did test the spark plug wires but I will check again however when I switched coils and plugs I believe that would eliminate the shorted spark plug wire possibility.

I agree something fried the coil but am not sure what.

I rerouted all the wires and cables throough one tube to clean it all up and thought that possible the fuel line got pinched in the process but this would not explain no spark.

My next step is to pull the fly wheel and check the stator coil and crank sensor.

Since I have eliminated the CDI (whew)it could be something really simple BUT what?

Thanks for your help, any more suggetions

Comment

repost asking for a response from boats.net

Comment

I just had another thought.

Even though #2 is not firing why can't I get more than 2,000 RPM, it has now fallen to 1500 since I switched the CDI, I will switch back.

Is it possible that I have two problems, one with fuel and one with #2.

I will switch fuel lines today and see.

Thanks for your help
            Jim

Comment

Jim,
              How are you testing #2 plug for spark? Are you pulling the plug and grounding it and looking at the gap? Have you tried another spark plug - it could be shorted internally.
              Ken K

Comment

Hi Ken
                It was a new plug so it was easy to see that it wasn't firing when I ran the engine, when I switched the plug to #4, it did fire.

The plug does get fuel in #2 as it is wet.

I am going to get a seperate fuel line to hook an auxhiliary tank to the engine, this way I can eliminate if there is a restriction from placing all the cables, oil & fuel line through a single tube.

This engine was just serviced before I bought it and the seller said that it was running fine with all plugs firing and good compression, it sounds really strong.
                Thanks again
                Jim

Comment

I have tried a new fuel line from the tank to the engine with no increase in RPM so that will eliminate a constriction occur as a result of me putting all the lines through a single tube.

Tomorrow's tests will be to test the fuel from the engine intake to the cylinders.

Comment

i would try a spray bottle with gas in it in each carb opening and listen for the change.

Comment

Hi All
                      I took off the upper carbs and #2 was just loaded with crap, like huge. Possibly it got jossled around during shipping.

Thanks for that one JB123

Now I have always avoided carbs like the plague so I guess this is the time where I will be forced into dealing with this fear. I still don’t understand why there appears to be no spark but maybe there is it is just so weak due to the lack of gas that it hardly colors the plug, plus the plug is darker now since I switched it to another hole.

Then remains the question of why doesn’t the engine get over 2,000 RPM but this may be caused by the anti-knock sensor which retards the timing.

Then there is another quetion of why did the coil get fried or did it just wear out.

It start to pour so I will clean out the carb and try it tomorrow.

I feel like a detective. Keep you posted.

Comment

Went through the same frustration with my 97 Prov 115. One cyl fouled out new CDI made no difference. Finally found a blockage of one carb jet. Like you still don't understand the symptoms but the cure is a clean carb.

Comment

Working...
                        X